starting a LC business and need opinions on gear.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Houstonguy, May 7, 2008.

1. Houstonguy

Houstonguy LawnSite Member

So I have pretty much decided on getting the quickie 32 sumrai cause of price and I figured I will need a little extra power to pull me (275 lb.) with the step saver. My hold up is on everything else. Weedeater, blower, stick edger ( want straight shaft), and hedge trimmer. Im not sure what size or brand to get on any of these. as far as trailer goes I dont want anything too big because I have a short driveway which is another reason I decided to go with the quickie wb they are really short. Oh yeah and in case someone is wondering why 32" 2 guys I asked that I saw cutting yards said they regret getting the 36" because some people build really narrow gates and they have to mow the back yard with push mowers and by my calculations 4 inches isnt going to make it that much faster. anyways this is a quote I got yesterday, what do you guys think.
    stihl:
    fs 110 Rx trimmer 311.99
    fc 95 stick edger 399.74
    br 550 blower 380.24"
    hs 45 24" hedetrimmer 282.74
    which brings me to a grand total of 1374.71 with tax 1488.12
    you guys think im going a little big? or not big enough? what should I change and are these good prices? Should I go with another brand? Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Look into getting a Stihl Kombi-System... you can change out attachments instead of buying a dedicated edger. I think its only $120 for the edger attachment. Then you can get other things as you need them: tiller,sweeper,articulating hedgers,etc... JMO - Good Luck & Welcome to LawnSite! !

3. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

although i have never used any of those items listed except the br 550 (which i own), i can through in a few cents of my own. First, the 550 is a great blower, the only complaint that i have is that the blower bogs down when the tank is half full. its like the gas line isnt at the bottom of the tank. it makes stuff a pita especially if you are right in the middle of a big job and you gotta fill up all the time even though the tank is half full. as far as a trailer goes, dont short yourself. i am new to this, but ive heard that you should buy a trailer that you can "grow into" i have a 6x12 and have had several occasions where i could have used a bigger one. id go at least a 6x12 with 2 foot MESH sidewalls. go mesh in case you have a job where you have to get up a lot of leaves and stuff. and you can hook to practically anywhere on the trailer.

4. Raven386

from CT

For a trailer, I would go with the biggest you can afford... 7X14 or 6x14... I wish I had bought a bigger trailer I have a 6x14 which is pretty tight with the ultravac on the exmark and the w/b. I would say min. 6x12 but if you could go bigger. If you plan on being in this business for the long haul you will outgrow a 5x8 trailer in a few years. Again, JMO

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Why not check out redmax or shindaiwa equipment? Oh and don't get a kombi system or a straight shaft edger. Both are a waste of time. The straight shaft doesn't leave a nice edge and is harder to use imo. A curved shaft isn't as powerful but I've been much happier with mine than my expensive kombi system with straight shaft edger.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I hope that quickie 32 is a dual hydro unit since you are 275#. I dunno but I think those belts will be a lot more likely to slip off if you use a sulky with a gear drive and that much weight.

I understand about the concern about being able to get into all of the back gates with a 36" but I have found that I can get into about 90% of back gates with the 36". I own a 07 32" gear drive that sits in the garage...I use a 21" for those 10% of back yards.

7. Houstonguy

You know what guys the whole getting a shorter trailer thing was all my wife. When I wanted a 14 footer she said "typical man, whats 4 more feet?" and "it will take up our whole driveway." I will be getting the 14 ft trailer now and I will also show her this post. As far as the quickie 32 it comes with a 16hp kai versus the 15 hp kai in the lower model. I figured 1 more hp for 50 extra lbs. I was a signature away from getting a 32" scag but 3k versus 2500 for a hydro? I dont know. It is a single hydro by the way but I dont mind walking if the sucker cant handle my weight I will just let my brother do the mowing and I'll do the trimming he is about a buck 50 in weight. Im pretty set on the 32" I figured my next mower would be a z for when I start going after commercial accounts, most likely a 60" so wherever that sucker fits its mowing and wherever it doesnt I have the
    32". And as far as the straight edgers go I used to work for the county here and did all commercial mowing with big tractors but as far as edging we would have to edge very long stretches of curbs. We started with the curved stihl edgers and they would clog all the time and then got the straight edgers with the wider guard and had no problems. Just to give you and idea of how much edging we would do I would get dropped off on one end with a full tank of gas and a spare blade and tool to change the blade and I would go till it ran out of gas and call the guy with the truck on the radio to bring me some more gas. So needless to say I was impressed with the stihl edger. As far as redmax and shindaiwa I dont know anything about them or know of any dealers in my area. What model number do you recommend that are comparible to the stihl? Ordering online sure would save me alot in taxes if I do decide to go with redmax and shindaiwa. For some reason I thought I saw somewhere that stihl does not allow online sales. Sorry for the long post I get carried away sometimes.

8. Raven386

from CT

1 Question for you. Lets say you buy it online... where are you going to get any warranty work done? Do you have time to drive 2 hours away to pick up a part from the Redmax dealer?

9. Houstonguy

You are so right raven. Im loving this forum! The stihl dealer really stressed how good thier turn around was on warranty and repair work. And he also said they stock every single part on stihl equipment. He also said that people that buy thier equipment at that store get priority on repairs. I guess saving some money got me all excited but in the end it might not be worth it.

10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

took the words right out of my mouth. even look into the new blower attachment. Dealer told me yesterday that it is comparable to the 550 and 600. I have my doubts about that but hey who knows.