1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Legal Lawn Service Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nijones25, Mar 28, 2007.

1. nijones25

nijones25 LawnSite Member

I have just found this site and I am so glad I did. For the past several years, my uncle and myself have been running a lawn service business. We don't have any employees (other than the fly by nighters that stand on the sides of the streets looking for quick work), most of it is actually done by my uncle. I mostly handle the books and paperwork. He has racked up a ton of business including 2 commercial accounts. Here is our issue, we want to begin acquiring new equipment as the mowers we have now are getting old and beginning to run down. BUT we want to use business credit, I know to do that, I have for form a legitimate business. Now we get to the question? What business status is better for our business? LLC, C Corp, S Corp?

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

Meet with a CPA and review how your operation is set up and the plans you have for the future. It is not expensive to do this, at least it shouldn't be, especially if you agree to have them do your taxes. After we decided, (S Corp) and then set up licenses, insurance, bank accounts, PO Box, and corporate filings, a few weeks later, the Bank called us offering a credit card or a business line of credit.