Starting a new business in spring

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by msmathis, Aug 3, 2006.

1. msmathis

msmathis LawnSite Member

I am hoping to start up a lawn care business in Valdosta, GA in the spring. I am in the process of saving money to buy all of the equipment I will need. I am planning on purchasing a 7x16 enclosed trailer, Hustler 52" zero turn mower, as well as the trimmers, edgers, blowers, etc that I will need. I plan on advertising on my trailer, business cards, flyers, door hangers, etc. I currently work in law enforcement and am planning on getting out to start up a lawn care business full time. Can I make it? Any suggestions?
  2. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

you figure out your start up cost? i Plan on starting out next spring too!
  3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

As I am sure you already know, getting a new business off the ground takes alot of time, hard work, patience and persistence. If your area can provide enough work opportunity, you work your a$$ off and always do the best possible work you can, you should fine. Advertising is key, make sure that you concentrate on a core location that you would like to work in and canvas that area with advertising (doorhagers, flyer's and community classifieds. Stay away from spending more than you have to and make damn sure that you put aside some of that law enforcement income to keep your head above water while you get things moving. It is a big jump you are about to make, but if you keep everything in check and learn from the mistakes and bumps in the road that will occur, you will be ok. Work hard, work smart and best of luck. Mike
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you do a business plan, the library will have books on this, can your area support another lco... look in the phone book, are ther 200 companies already, you do demographic studies, just like any other business venture..:)