Starting a new company and looking for advice in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sappervol, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sappervol

sappervol LawnSite Member

I am in Lewisville North Carolina. I would like to network with people in the Area. I am currently in the Army and work in Winston Salem. I have a great deal of landscaping experience from before I joined in 1999 but I know that is old news and many many things have changed. I am retiring from the Army in 2014 and my Army coworker and I are going to start an LLC and begin with Landscaping. I would love to get some feedback and tutelage from anyone with any helpful advice. I would also be willing to work for anyone on the weekends to get my experience back up. Let me know. All help is greatly appreciated. I am especially looking for ideas as to how start, how much capital, equipment needs and stuff like that. Thanks for any and all help.

Michael Sell

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I lived in lewisville in the early 80s, when it was "in the country" and not all sub-divided like it is now. I really liked it. W-S is a good market, there's some money around WFU. Know the difference's between warm and cool season grass, you will see both around here.

3. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

I'm next door in Greensboro!

4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Anything you are buying new get it while you are still active duty to avoid the tax.

5. sappervol

sappervol LawnSite Member

Hey HotDog,

How and where would I find equipment that is tax free because of being in the Army? Thanks for the advice.

Michael

6. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

One thing is if you have the funds don't do a partnership even if you guys are best friends I have seen it ruin friendships like that
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 123hotdog

I have a friend in the Army that is active duty and he doesn't pay tax on his trucks or mowers.

8. 123hotdog

I so agree. I would never ever go into business with another individual in any field.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's because he has a tax number. Nothing to do with being military. Military pay is taxed like everyone elses. My military retirement check is taxed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Bowhog1

Bowhog1 LawnSite Member

Sappervol.....have you checked with local equipment dealers on finance rates.Most commercial dealers in the triangle offer 0 percent/48m with no payment till April 2013. I just retired from the fire service and am trying to start a mow service myself.Good luck and thanks for your service.