1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting A new Company and would Like .........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DC Lawn Care Inc., Jan 23, 2002.

1. DC Lawn Care Inc.

DC Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Please help me My partner and I are Starting a Lawn Maintence company and need to get feed back on a few things . Such as
    the Encore Mower line and please help me figure out the best brand of string trimmers, hedge trimmers and blowers. The brands in this area are Echo, Stihl and Schiwiadiwa. Sorry about the spelling pretty excited about the opportunities and want to get started. One more thing What do you think about our name

GREEN F/X??????

Thank you for you time

David Metzger
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have no idea what Encore mowers are. Never heard of them. All we use in these parts (unless you're into big commercial jobs) are 21" mowers. So if this is a brand that makes big mowers, I'll let someone else answer that. As for 21", I can tell you without a doubt that Hondas are the best. Specifically, the Honda commercial hydro units; HRC216 HXA. The only other 21" mower worth even mentioning is Toro. But IMO it's still a waste when Hondas are so much better. Anything else on the market is junk.

As for the other brands you mention, I like them all and own them all. I am a little partial to Shindaiwa for most stuff. But for Backpack blowers I won't use anything but Echo. Either way, if it's a commercial unit made by one of those 3 companies you won't go wrong. Their all great.

I'm confused about your name. Is is DC Lawn Care, Inc. or Green f/x ?

DC Lawn Care is good if you are from Washington DC. If you are from Idaho I guess it's still pretty decent. But it makes me wonder what the reference to DC is. Anyway, it still works.

As for Green f/x, I like it but it needs more. A good business name should always fully explain your business. For instance, Johnson & Associates doesn't tell you anything about the company. If you see a truck going down the road with that on the side why would you call them? How would you even know what they do?

Whereas DC Lawn Care or Green f/x Landscaping or Davidson Landscape Maintenance fully explains what you do.

Be as creative as you like. Just keep this in mind.
  3. A very good post. Solid information we can take to the bank.

All I might add is a little more insight into the Encore mowers. I'm kind of an equipment junkie, so I go to all the trade shows I can. But I don't spend much time looking at Encore equipment. It's just too cheaply built to be a contender in the commercial market. They're usually the cheapest. But your return on investment would be the worst.

4. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

Hondas are the best I've got two thats been with me since i started back in 92 and still on the first pull vrooom is all you hear. Only thing i've replaced is the tires. I have some snapper mowers that are excellent also. Tru enuff Echo may be the best blower but i like my Husky i'm demoing the new shindawa blower this week ill let you know about it im not going to buy it just like equip but i can tell you this it pUSHED a brick about 20 steps down the street that's how i tell my power. As far as weedeater go i have the 4 stroke hondas for the help but i have a 10yr old robin that i think can nothing touch. But in all HONDA RULES :D
  5. Live2ride

Live2ride LawnSite Member
    from iowa

A lawn maintenance co. here is called "Ground F/X" . That or Green F/X seems to get the idea across. Good Luck...
  6. we have only had one encore it was pretty bad and i would stay clear of them
    Look at a exmark or toro scag or dixie chopper.
    We use stihl and shidawa trimmers and blowers they have been great for us.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

DC- The name sounds O.K. Very good info from Jim Lewis, make sure people know what you do. I also haven't heard much good about Encore either, but there aren't many around here. Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa are all good brands. My best piece of advice would be to buy the best you possibly can and stay away from the cheap homeowner crap. It is also important to find a good dealer/mechanic that stocks the parts and can service the machines for you. Stay loyal to them and they will be loyal to you. I have a great shop that I've been going to for a few years and I buy everything there. If they can't fix the machine on the spot, they usually have it done by the end of the day. I think this service and reduced downtime far outweighs the money you may save by shopping for price at another shop. Hope this helps. Mike
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

lawncare, I just noticed your impressive equipment and vehicle list. That's quite the setup you have there. :laugh: LOL. That's one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time.

Anyway, regarding Hondas, I am amazed that you've had some last you since 1992. Yours must get a little lighter use than ours. My first pair (from 1997) just went out a few months ago. Totally out. But then we abuse the heck out of them. Each mower mows about 75-100 lawns per week. They get a LITTLE use. I was happy to get mine to last as long as I have. Yours have done great! I guess you probably use the electric Craftsman or B&D more often than the Honda, huh?

p.s. send me a pic of that El Camino with the 454 in it. Do you got the hood scoop and air injection unit with that? LOL ;)
  9. DC Lawn Care Inc.

DC Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

:D What about toro and Scag Walk behinds? We Started with DC Lawn care for David and Courtney but our wives thought it should be something else so I came up with Green F/X and on our biz card it says " Make your Yard Our yard" Do you think this helps any?
  10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm suprised it hasn't already been mentioned, but I would deffinately look into the Exmark line. They are the best mowers I have ever owned, and they will be the only ones I own until something else proves to be alot better, which in my mind would be hard to do. But anyways, Scag and Toro are also good peices of equipment. If I had to pick one or the other I would take the Toro before the Scag. Check out the Exmark web page www.exmark.com

As far as blowers and trimmers, I can only speak for what I own and run. We have all echo trimmers and they have been good reliable units. We also run a couple of handheld blowers made by echo, but I would much rather take out one of our 2 Stihl BR400's and use them. You just cant beat a packpack blower once you have tried one. Good luck