Starting a new company, What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by customcurbdesigns, Feb 5, 2008.

1. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

To give you a background, I do Decorative Concrete Curbing in FL. Its a great business but I want to do somthing else along with it and what better then lawn care.

I have toyed with the idea for a while and finally went to 2 dealers today.

The neighborhood I live in and the areas I would be targeting have pretty small yards. Anywhere from 50x150 to 80x200 at the most. Most are on the smaller side.

I already have a 6x16 trailer with 2 ft mesh sides and a gate and weedeater racks. So I am set there. My curb trailer is a totally seperate trailer so that keeps me from having to move around equipment which is nice.

I looked at and was happy with the Dixie chopper mower that they had. Its a 34inch cut, and it has the Generac motor. Do you feel a 34 inch is sufficent and will I feel like I went to small? I have the money to buy the 44inch but figured why get it if its going to be hard to get into peoples backyards?

The houses around here are somtimes as little as 10ft apart so after they have mulch and some bushes, theres prolly just about 4 ft to drive to the backyard.

This mower is normally I guess in the 5800-6200 range and they are willing to sell it for 5299, is this a good price? Its brand new obviously.

Then I am going to go with a shindaiwa back pack blower, edger, hedge clippers and trimmer. Let me know if you think this is a good idea. All the ones I priced are the 242 series. And they took off about 80-100 off the list on them.

Over all the mower, and those 4 items came to with tax for 7300.00 OTD. I think its a pretty good deal and I am going to pick it up tomorrow or wed if you think the mower is suffiecent.

Also, for some reason the guy kept pushing a wright sentro sports or somthing on me saying I might like it better? Any ideas on this?

I will be mostly cutting yards with st. augustine if that matters. Thanks alot for your help and I hope this wasnt to long of a post.

Sean

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

What the dealer could have been pushing on you is a Wright Standar. For smaller yards and with the size deck you are looking at it might be a viable option for you. It's very manuverable and can get into places a rider won't. A walkbehind would also probably be more manuverable than a z and would also keep a couple thousand dollars in your pocket, unless you really want to be sitting, in which case the Dixie sounds like it will work for you. When it comes to size, you have to determine how many yards are openand how many gates you need to get through, if most yards are open definitely get the 44. Those 10 inches will end up making a big difference.

3. customcurbdesigns

from Tampa

Hey, Most do not have gates, but most are very tight to get in between. Just very narrow side yards. So thats why I thought maybe the 34 would be the way to go.

4. customcurbdesigns

from Tampa

Anybody else have any insight ?

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think that your thinking is pretty good. I would have to bet the Wright Stander probably be your best bet. Or possibly the walkbehind w/ a sulky. See if you can demo each of the mowers. Hope my opinion helps a little bit.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct in your thinking. The vast majority of yards in Tampa are 1/5 to 1/4 acre homesites, with the usual 36" gated back yard. Most of my customers have pools which take up most if not all of the back yard. My 48" spends most of its time on the trailer as it takes less time with the 36" wb than to switch mowers. I have been looking at the 34-36" class of ZTR as I really want to carry only 1 mower. Dixie Chopper has great customer support in this area. Never had a service problem back when I had My 50"DC. It really doesn't take much of a rig to be efficient and profitable around here.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

ericg likes this.
  7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty good.is the dealer you r talking about CUTTER POWER?

8. customcurbdesigns

from Tampa

Yes it is. Do you deal with them?

I bought my stuff today.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Well, LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!!!!

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I don't know if you already bought a mower or not but I use a 44" toro Z master. I think its the perfect size for lawns where I'm at which is basically the other side of TPA bay. I do have to use the 32" walk behind on a few gated back yards, as many don't have a 48" gate.