Starting a pull cord without a pull cord

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pcarlson1911, Sep 29, 2006.

1. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

Is there some way I can start a pull cord mower with the pull cord removed.

I'm loking at a used mower and the pull cord assembly was removed to be replaced and then lost.

I'm worried that the motor isn't running.

Can I use a battery somehow to start it without the cord?
    pc

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

pcarlson, I hope you have a thick skin. I have a funny feeling that much merriment will be had at your expence.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's an expensive mower then buy a cord and install it. if it's a cheapo then tell them unless they get it started your not interesed. what is it anyway?

4. pcarlson1911

when your head is thick your skin has no choice but to follow!

My noggin is so thinck I don't even know what I'm about to be made fun of for.

I'm guessing, if I take a battery jump pack and connect the red and the black to the correct place on the mower it will fire. Of course, I'm not a tech, so there may be no merit to my idea.

5. pcarlson1911

48" Snapper commercial mower
    Belt driven
    Cuts great
    Super price ( I paid 1100 two years ago )
    Kawasakie 14hp engine

Engine runs good, Only thing it needs is the pull start assembly. I took it off to replace the cord, and lost it. That is why I am selling so low.

He wants 300 for it, but sounds too good to be true. His previous listing stated he had moved to a postage stamp lot and no longer needed the mower.

6. khouse

i don't know what your trying to say. you say you don't know if it runs then i read where it says it runs good? why do you need a rope on it if it's electric start?

7. pcarlson1911

The current owner says it runs good in his add.

I won't take his word for it.

It isn't an electric start, its a pull start.

you can't understand what I'm talking about, cause I'm clueless.:dizzy:

8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Take someone who may know alot more about engines and mower's with you to look at it.

How old are you?

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Well carlson, not to be a wiseazz, but if it's strictly a pullstart theres nothing to hook the battery to, No starter. THIS PART IS A JOKE; DO NOT TRY THIS. You could try cranking it with the blade but you've got to be mighty quick handed. Remember the old airplanes that they cranked with the propeller, always holler CONTACT when your ready.:laugh:

10. khouse

the best advice i can give you is to say to them "i need to here it run" otherwise walk away from it.