Starting a pull start 48" Exmark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Johnson, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Johnson

Johnson LawnSite Member

I have an older 48" Exmark walk behind. Being as it is older, It only has a pull start. The problem I am having is that sometimes it almost rips my hand off when starting it. It rips the handle right out of my hand. I have been told to pull the rope slowly to turn over the engine , then pull to start it. I just spent over $300 in repairs including a tune up. It just seems dangerous. Anyone know what the problem could be or what I can do to keep from getting my fingers ripped off trying to start this thing?

Thanks,

Dan Johnson

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

it hurts don't it iv had it happen to me but never looked in to having it fixed

3. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

check the starter clutch it could be not releasing right also valve clearance and ignition timeing could be off

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Try posting this question in the Exmark forum on this site. They have support available and they always can answer these types of problems. Best of luck to you.

5. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I have had the same thing happen to me. It surprises me everytime it happens. It is not just limited to exmark engines, kohler, kawisaki. I do not know what causes it but it hurts.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

sounds like the flywheel key is worn, or the timing is off, valve timing could be causing the problem as well.....

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I had a Kohler that did it, and it was miserable. Try like you were told to pull it til you get to the point of resistance, then let the recoil go back in, then pull her good. If you still have trouble, look to other problems that were mentioned above.

Jay

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It has something to do with the compression release. Mine has caught me off guard a couple of times.

9. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What's the deal with my 12.5 Kohler then? It is super super hard to pull, and when I do get it started it seems that everything wants to come back out of the carb instead of the muffler. I think that the exhaust valve timing is off, because the exhaust is coming out when the intake valve is open. Anyone?

10. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

sheared flywheel key is the usual culprit.