1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting a pull start 48" Exmark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Johnson, Mar 10, 2004.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this happen from time to time on various recoil start machines. I thought is was just depending on what part of crankshaft revolution it was on that caused it. It does onlly happen once in a while, not regularly... May not be same situation as yours ???
  2. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

only other thing that can do this is a bad compression release mechanism on the camshaft. Requires replacing the camshaft usually.
  3. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

I have experienced this on my old boss's 13 hp Honda w/b. The engine was trashed already though. He had not changed the oil since we finnished leaves last fall.

There was some kind of gasket leak b/c oil would just ooze down the side of the engine as the day went on. 2 weeks ago the engine lost power and died. When that happened it got loud and like you described earlier, it sounded like the exhaust was coming back out the carb. and air filter and not going out the muffler.

I'd like to know what could be causing these simptoms on your's and my engines.
  4. dan5427

dan5427 LawnSite Member

is the unit a hydro or gear drive? if it is a hydro there are some models with a release to make starting easier. if your model has it, it would be located on the right hande side in the rear of the unit. it is just a chain that pulls out and hooks onto a bolt. hopefully that might help