starting a residential mowing business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by T'S lawncare, Jan 27, 2007.

1. T'S lawncare

T'S lawncare LawnSite Member

hi all, i'm a high school student planning on starting a lawn care service. nothin fancy, just for the city where i live. I'm gunna do mowing, landscaping, tree trimming, etc. I have a simplicity 48" wb, truck,trailer, weedeater, and blower. Looking to buy a used simplicity rider for the larger lots...

any advice for a young entrepenurer?
  2. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

The only advice I have is to stay as small as possible with your equipment and stay away from realloy big stuff. I wish that I had just stuck with small residetial lawns.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Advertise Advertise Advertise!!! O yea Please stay in school!
  4. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

Whats wrong with the big stuff jinx? lol thats what i wish i had :(
  5. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

if you stay with smaller lawns you don't have to buy the large, expensive equipment that it takes to maintain the larger areas. For example, I mow a campground and I have to have the bigger stuff. Those little mowers won't hold up.
  6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

DON'T buy more equipment then you need. It SUCKS to work your ass off, to watch all the money disappear paying for junk you don't need.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd only buy the rider if you think you'll have a lot of use for it...being in school you won't be working full unless most of the lawns are really large I'd stick with the 48.'re in high school. Have fun with it and stick with what you're good at to start.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Spend some time reading various sections of this forum, and keep reading.
    There's so much stuff here that nobody can use it all, but it helps.
  9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have all you need for just starting out. Work with what you got till you build up some accounts then add as you need to. The worst thing is to buy equipment and then not have enough accounts to make a profit. Stay smaller until you need to expand and grow.