Starting a sealcoating business.. Roller VS Sprayer?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Loooogie, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

Main Question... My plan is to do driveways for now, my question is can a do as good of a job for my customers using a Roller and brush? Big time difference?

Second question, I found this place that sells sealcoat near by me...

http://www.mcasphalt.com/prod2.html

Do I need to add anything to the sealcoat, if so how much of what and can I still use a roller? I am in Canada :canadaflag: so cold weather may be an issue.

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say no. BlackMac is best sprayed, and you need not add anything to it. Spraying would be best, and give a "PRO" finish look. If your in York, thinking that's Toronto area? then you will get BlackMac at TJ pounder in Brampton. If your going there, you need a metal container, they will not fill anything else, and they do sell metal barrels. You need to get a permit number too ( They, TJ Pounder will do that for you)
    A new sprayer is about 4 grand, or send me a e-mail, as I'm upgrading, and have a good unit for sale at the present time, for half new.
    Here is a place near you if your in the GTA
    http://www.protectasphalt.com/spraying systems.html

Good luck!!

3. Loooogie

from YORK

I did not know about TJ pounder, thanks!

You know one of the reasons I want to roll instead of spray because I was told not to use a sprayer near a house because a small clog in the nozzel could lead to spraying somebodies house with sealcoat?

Also, does BlackMac have sand already inside or something to prevent slips and falls?

What is you take on this?

4. Loooogie

from YORK

Kevin - Your contact info is not available.

You can email me at jmarji@yahoo.com with all the info on the sprayer you are selling.

5. shepoutside

Ok, first you need to figure out what product you what to use. BlackMac is a oil base driveway sealer, and not a Sealcoat. This is the normal product in our area, for residential driveways, but I would not use it myself, for parking lots. I use a sealcoat, that I get out of Hamilton ( think TJ has Cold Tar) that I mix with sand, for my commercial customers. They are not the same, nor can the same equipment be used on either. If your just looking to do driveways, BlackMac be you best option IMO. Check around, and see what people are using. I spray BlackMac and squeegee/brush/spray CT.
    Will send you pic's tomorrow evening.

6. Loooogie

from YORK

Thanks I got it, I look forward to the email.

Just wondering, if anybody knows what the main differance is between Sealcoat for commercial and BlackMac for driveways, other than the equipment you need? I am sorry to drive you guys crazy but I am the type of guy who likes to know these things.

7. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I have a Protect unit and it works great. The only problem I am having is the void in my spray pattern. I've called Protect several times and tried several tips but have not been able to correct it.

Sealcoat is a acrylic based product that you add sand and hardener to. You brush, squeegee or spray it on. BlackMac is a petroleum based product that is sprayed on.

Kevin do you find a difference in the BlackMac compared to Hamilton's cutback? I have been using cutback and have been considering using BlackMac. It is a longer drive but if it is worth it and is a better product for my customers than that's what I'll do.

8. shepoutside

I have not used Hamiltons cutback, but have used Bresula's, and I think it's worth the drive fo BlackMac, but was thinking of trying Hamiltons. I got BlackMac from Port Colborne last week, just for a nice drive, compared to going into GTA.

9. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Thanks Kevin, What is the name of the place in Port Colborne?

Glenn

10. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Never mind Kevin I found it.

Thanks

Glenn