Starting a small business in Ont, Canada

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Huck, May 21, 2001.

1. Huck

Huck LawnSite Member

Hi, are there any Canadians on board who can possibly help me with
    any info regarding the laws,licenses and any other information
    regarding part time mowing and trimming ( gst#,business#,income tax
    etc,etc).Any help would be appreciated,Thanks,Huck(Ontario,Canada)

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have several members from your area and all over Canada. I'm sure someone will jump on this question and help you. :)

3. casey

casey Guest

You mean there are laws, licences, GST??
    Uh oh.
    Toronto, Ontario

If your doing part time residentials or even small commercials you don't need a license in Toronto. Don't worry about GST unless your books show over 20 k. Keep receipts for everything, and when you file make sure your deposits and expenses add up. You won't pay much or even anything if your part time with alot of expenses you can show.
    If your small or they think you are no ones gunna bug you.
    They're everywhere.

GO RAPTORS

4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

You only need a GST # if your over 30K. And to get a business # cost about $80.00. Then you can open a business account at the bank and your ready to go. One other thing you may want to consider is insurance. That always comes in handy.

5. casey

casey Guest

30k it is.
    who do you get your insurance from pcs? personal injury & equipment.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I get my business insurance from the same company that I get my vehicle insurance from. Get an accountant to make sure you are doing things right at the start no matter how small you are. It'll only cost a couple of hundred and it will pay back on your first tax return they do.
    Keep all receipts and record your mileage so you can claim all vehicle expenses.

7. Lawnnorder

Lawnnorder LawnSite Member

I regret ever getting a GST number. I intentionally keep my invoices under 30K so I don't have to charge the tax or get a rebate. If you miss a 1/4 filing then all rebates are held up and it takes awhile to figure out. Just wasn't worth it for me in the long run.

And spraying will require a licence both for yourself and the business. Insurance can be expensive when spraying is involved. I always contracted mine out therefore no headaches.

It is a great market here in Toronto. It is too bad the season is so short but you can make excellent money with proper services.

Good luck yo you.

8. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

casey: I have my insurance with The Economical Insurance Group. I get it through there broker here in Mississauga the Neziol Group. # 905-274-8840. For $1 million Liability cost me about 99.00 per month and that includes snowplowing. If you do any spraying the insurance is pretty high. I don't have any personal injury insurance right now but I did check it out a few months ago. It cost something like 50.00 per month and your expenses are covered and they give you a percentage of your income back so it seemed alright. I should really look into it more. It's worth having.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My insurance for spraying alone is $650 and I can't bill over $5000 or I have to get more insurance. Even though I am only one of many people spraying in my area I am the only one that my insurance company has ever insured for it. When I first started looking for insurance I had a hard time finding a company that even heard of it. I wish there was some enforcement of the laws around here. I just lost a bunch of cutting work to a kid who does commercial work using his Dad's name and no insurance. One phone call is all it would take but I doubt if I will make it. The worse part is, he does real poor work too, I wouldn't mined so much if he did good work. Small town politics suck

Money talks, legit companies have to walk.

10. casey

casey Guest

Toronto & Miss. members where do you buy and servive your equipment.
    I use WE Enterprises and Chain Saw Clinic. Both excellent.
    WE has Exmark but Chain Saw is closer.
    VERY BAD EXPERIENCES at KOOY BROTRHERS-screwed me around on availability of Toro WB after assuring me he could get one and finally admitting couldn't get it.
    VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD HORRIBLE EXPERIENCES WITH ALL SEASONS SMALL ENGINES!!!DON'T EVER EVEN DRIVE BY THE PLACE.
    I won't go into all the problems I had with them but they overcharge and do really baaaad work. And those are the nicest things I have to say about them.