Starting a small operation with 21" only.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by irbis, Sep 1, 2004.

1. irbis

irbis LawnSite Member

I am going to start a part-time lawn service in March and I was wondering if I can start with just a 21".

I only own a car, so I am thinking about getting a 21", trimmer, blower and transport them in my car. Most of initial lawns I will get will be small, and I will obviously spend a lot of extra time mowing my first few larger lawns with a 21".

Once I get 5 or more larger lawns I will buy a truck, something like http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/ChevyTruck.html and a 48".

I am not trying to get big fast, I am going to focus on getting accounts all next to each other. I will be perfectly happy if I only have 10 lawns for $250/week for the first few months, and 20 lawns for $600/week at the end of my first year.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan. I say that because it is exactly what I did. Lay out your goals, and try to always work with them in mind. Research as much as possible, and buy the best equipment you can when you start. Buying quality equipment once saves money down the road. If you can't, you can't, whatever you start with will do until you can get better though.
    good luck with the business. No reason you can't start advertising now though, and maybe have 10 customers by the end of this year! get out early, and get out often. people need to start seeing your company name out there!

3. big tim afm

big tim afm LawnSite Member

wow nice truck, great job....and good luck

4. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I started in July with a 21" honda HRR216tda mower, stihl trimmer, john deere edger (free) , and echo handheld blower. I bought most of my equipment new however by the end of Sept. everything will be paid off.

I'm already looking at buying a huslter 37" WB

Although you have a car I would really suggest you get a small trailer

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

That's exactly what I did. Started with a mower, blower and trimmer and worked outta the backseat/trunk of my car. It was cheap, and I didn't have to invest a ton of money I didn't have. As long as you have the energy and youth to push mow yards with 21 inchers, go for it. I look back to those days now and have no idea where all my energy came from to do all that work with push mowers. But if you are young and willing, you should be able to work your way up to bigger mowers quickly.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=50650 That's my story.

Good luck!

:D

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Definitely buy good commercial trimmer/edger/blower. The Harry Homeowner stuff will cost you a lot of time. For the 21", go to a dealer, they can steer you toward the more commercial grade 21"s. I started with a 21' John Deere, it lasted for about 650 lawns until the transmission failed. The engine however, still ran fine (all those timely oil changes). Dealer fixed the transmission under warranty (bought it under my name, rather than the company).

7. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

You have to start somewhere. I basically started the same way but I had a little mazda b2200 pick up at first.

Good luck :) :waving: :rolleyes: :cool: :blob3:

8. Amitche

Amitche LawnSite Member

I am thinking about doing the same thing. I have my 21 inch mower, a backpack blower, a john Deere trimmer and a home-lite trimmer., i also have an old pick up and a trailer I am borrowing. Can I make a go of it with just his? Not sure where to begin with the charging of customers. i am planning on doing massive fliers for lawn moving and i also have a 15 hp push blower for leave in the fall. What do you guys think can i make a go of it? I am not sure if I form a legal company or just go under the table. Also not sure how to begin pricing myself?

Help.

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I started the same way outta the trunk of my car with a POS mower and have since moved on. This is my first year and everything that I bought for the business has been paid off I only do this part time for now. I have since bought a trailer that I have out grown I also bought a JD GS45 48 inch walk behind and all kind of goodies. My POS hand held blower just died last week and the Echo 750 back pack blower just came in last night. Stick with it and hard for a fair price and do a good job that's what most people care about.

10. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

thats how i started when i was 11 yr. old, get a self propelled rear wheel dr. if you can afford it with at least 6h.p.,now im almost 50 and i got a 36"scag wb(yup still walking) get the best trimmer you can afford too, i have a tanaka straight shaft,it is very lite weight (very important!) they have a new model that is 9lbs! its a dream!! plus they started the whole krazz of having super well built long lasting engines with bearings, chrome cylinder etc., shoot i use a pontiac transport and ramp my 36" into the back of it and it fits, plus i shove in my 21 toro,blower and trimmer too! i keep saying i will get a trailer someday(my transport even has a 1+1/4" rec. hitch and i use my friends trailer occ., good way to make mad money or a living, i also am a trimmer guy for a friend with a landscape biz, do 29 lawns in one day and use a stihl 85 model trimmer, runs good but at the end of the day my arms want to fall off as it is a few pounds heavier, doing leafs right now,he has a stihl 85 blower, its the best and most powerful hand held out there,amazing and worth every penny, also for your 2 cycle engines use synthetic oil, you can dilute more than the jug says,some guys run 100:1 w/no problem, i run 50:1, to scared to try 100:1 but check with your dealer see what he reccomends, good luck!!