starting a snow plow business?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cowboy, Nov 25, 2000.

1. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Hey All,

Well I'm going to be transfering to a University that is located in snow country, and I will be living about 30 miles away from it in a small town of about 1700 people with another couple towns next to it totaling probably another 3400.

my question is, how much does it cost to start a business like this as far as would a college student be able to start it and make sufficient money in a town(s) this small?

this place gets quite a bit of snow a year.

anyway, if you can give me a general idea of the costs a month if any of you are running a smaller business. and just general start up costs.

thanks a bunch

-Adam

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

that depends ,do you allready have a truck that's
    capable of pushing snow?
    how many other outfits in the area plowing snow?
    to many in a small area = stiff competion and less profit.
    dan

3. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

Your biggest up front expense is going to be a truck with a blade. New everything will cost you $35,000 +. Of course used can be anything from $1000 for a piece of junk that won't be reliable on up. You can use the phone line out of your house/ apartment so the only other real expense you'll have is for stationery, business cards and brochures or some other marketing tools. Being the end of November it's almost too late to start now. I would think almost everyone has a contract by now.

Good luck!

4. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies so far,

well I'm already planning on purchasing a 4x4 for moving out there, and have the money lined up for that ( 76-79 Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton, 350 unless I can find it with the 250 or 292 I6) I have always had good luck with 70-early 80 pickups as far as reliability (my current 81 4x2 chevy has 331,000 on it and have had it over a year with not one problem)

I'm planning for next year, as far as blades do you recommend new or could I find a decent one used you think?
    what are your favorite brands?

well thanks again for the help!

-Adam

5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can find good used plows around. Western and Meyers are good in my experience. I haven't used any others but I'm sure that people will recommend them.

6. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

i bought my first plow used 5 yrs ago and have not had any
    problems with it. i have a snoway with the down pressure
    system. i'm not getting into what plow is the best,although i will say mine is not.......because it is not a v plow!!
    that will have to wait till next year.
    good luck.
    dan

7. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

I've always liked Western. Look at what you can get replacement parts for easily. Remember every minute of down time costs you $$$ during a storm.

8. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Cowboy, you might want to consider doing the same thing (kind of) that I'm doing. I've never plowed before, but planning to start a business. First, I'd say a 4x4 is essential, at least 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton preferable. I bought a new Fisher 7'6". Fisher because it's a local company and dealer service is local. Installed $3200. Start small and build slow. Consider adding more services like sanding. Then keep on this site and pick these guys' brains for experience. Consider everything they all have to offer, use what'll work for you and disregard what you can't or don't want to use. Some tend to pick on each other and be opiniated but all have good advise.

Good Luck

9. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Looking at past posts, I read about pull plows.

Now I don't know what my commercial/resident mix would be but would you recommend getting a regular plow or a pull plow.
    How much more difficult is it to use a a regular plow on a driveway? And how long does it take you to do a regualr driveway?

Wondering if it would be worthwhile, of course probably not as easy to find used.

-Adam

10. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Cowboy, an important consideration for you is: Are you going to establish a "legal" business or "under the table"? The main thing is you can't get commercial accounts without insurance. As far as used, I don't know about your area but I've found getting used to be difficult and doesn't really save much unless you buy a used truck with a plow already on it. Used plows are usually used up and junk.