"Starting @ $" ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnguy001, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Getting ready to place my print ads for the spring . Does anyone use ads that state their minimium in the ad? After 19 years of doing this , I'm tired of getting calls from the tire kickers only to here from them that want someone that will do their yard for $ 15. Does a min. price stop this?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It don't hurt to try it. Maybe have starting @ xxx up to xx sqft. Or something like that.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Some folks do that and they say it works well for them. No matter what you will get tire kickers though. That is the stinky part of advertising.
  4. fltdek

fltdek LawnSite Member

Ever get the feeling people are trying to test you? Like, you offer/quote a price and they counter offer with a lower price saying thats what "they" quoted, just to see if you come down? Don't settle for less!
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a minimum price does slow it down, but you have to be very careful when designing your ad that you do not let your frustration through, because doing so can and will scare away the good guys as well. Still you will get a few tire kickers, and even without letting your frustration through, a minimum price tends to scare off at least a few of the good guys also. D*m'd if you do,...

About the things I found that work are:
    - Make sure there isn't even a hint of a discount on your ad, stuff like 'free estimates' has to go, get rid of all that crap that can be construed as you being reasonable (no offense). I even got to where I'm thinking of removing Licensed and Insured, if for no other reason than it's so generic and really doesn't serve a purpose, but you get the idea... I find simplicity rules, less really appears to work better.
    - Learn to pre-screen on the phone! Yes, it is still frustrating to have to deal with it, but it beats driving all the way out there for nothing.
    > You get a few wasting your time, but ...
    >> As for how to do it, if they start off with the bs on the phone, no sense in even driving out there, way I look at things.
    - Line up your estimates, then go give them in your car. I usually line up all the estimates for the day's calls, and either in the evening before dark or first thing in the morning, I take a drive and get these done. This saves a considerable amount of fuel and it's more relaxing, and that helps.
    > When I give an estimate, I pull up, get out, look at the work, and leave (since I usually have more to give). Sometimes I will knock on the door but usually I don't, I simply call them later on the phone and give them the price, and I am done (take it or leave it, next!).

I hope that helps, I'm sorry I don't have a grand solution but will read the rest of the thread to see if I find it lol.