Starting aerating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Drivefaster35, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've decided to start perviding aerating this year for my clients to increase my inclome for the year however never had tried it before and I keep hearing people on here saying their tired of "gettin beat up" by the walk behind aerator what is this all about does it really take that much manual labor I mean i'm a decently built guy but i dont wanna go get my a@@ kicked all day by a walk behind i'f its not worth it Id rather be drinkin beer :drinkup:
  2. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

Come on guys give me somethin here I know your all a heck of a lot smartin then me when it comes to this stuff :usflag:
  3. mhaysmow

mhaysmow LawnSite Member

i just bought a 26in lesco drum aerator and it is pretty easy to run you might check into one its alot less work then the blue bird or others but still its a big heavy peice to handle it is work. good luck
  4. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I've got a Plugr and it's not bad on flat areas. It does make you work a little on hills.
  5. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

Awsome guys thats all I needed to know to calm my worries thanks a bunch :drinkup:
  6. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Ryan aerator and it beats the crap out of you. If you use it for a full day, you will feel like you ran a triathalon and than got in the octagon with CHuck Liddell. it sux. the thing will wear you out.
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the new PLUGR hydro, and am pleased. It is very easy on you in the flats, and the Hydro really helps on hills, but it IS much harder than mowing because it weighs 300 lbs. or so, and you have to turn it manually at the ends. My philosophy was to ADD this service this year, and to OWN an aerator that was easy to use so that I dont have to aerate ALL DAY!!!!! I do 2 or 3 at a time, or, in the case of a very large yard, that might be it for the day. I am one that does not weed eat "all day" or chain saw "all day", so I am not going to aerate "all day". I break tasks up and am happy with life (I have to have the variety).
  8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Drivefaster 35...You need to look at and try the Turfco TurnAer aerators. I have been in aerators for over 30 years and this is the one we have been waiting for. YOU DRIVE IT! Yes like a mid size mower you drive this machine. Up hill, down hill, across the hill around corners everywhere and if the lawn is big you can put the chariot on behind and ride along. I am 58 and I can do an acre an hour without breaking a sweat. The unit is more money than the old style but so much easier to run and 30 to 50% faster. It is the only way to go. And has a two year warranty..go see it at or call 800-679-8201
  9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use walk behinds anymore they are too much effort> I use a Turfco tow behinf 42" aerator and define borders with a 26" ryan we aerate full speed on a laser . Its heavier 400 pounds does deeper better cores especially in clay does a lot of acreage maybe 2-3 acres per hour and is 1/2 the price of a ryan 5 times the speed of our 26 ryan.