1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting an LCO organization poll!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Apr 5, 2003.

Would you be interested in being a member of an Organization devoted to LCO's

1. No

0 vote(s)
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
  1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

ToG had a great idea in his thread entitled "Crack Down" I also posted my opinion and I rumor I heard on that thread.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a few thoughts on this:

1) Scrubs and lowballers, generally speaking, need educated not banned from the industry. I agree they are not pleasant for us to deal with but think about when you first started, maybe with scrubby equipment. Maybe you lowballed. But I doubt you got where you are now just overnight! Most of them will either not last through the summer, or will upgrade equipment as soon as possible. The latter will usually realize they could charge more so then they work their way into professionalism. They are then not a threat but competition. Competition is good, I mean what if there were only one or two businesses in town? The quality would probably go down the drain... Ok enough on that topic for not, lets move onto:

2) That newsletter doesn't sound like it would do much (if any) more than LawnSite already does, for free. I would not be opposed to the idea but it doesn't seem like that would be offering much. IF you could get the government to work on reducing the permanent scrubs/lowballers (the ones who aren't gonna change) then it would be worthwhile, but about all they could do is require a business license and insurance right? They can't say "Ok you don't use eXmark so you're shut down buddy!" I mean they could still be licensed and insured but still be doing bad work with bad equipment (one or both?).

See what I mean? It has to start on the frontlines. You won't like this but I suggest talking to the local scrubs/lowballers and explain to them (educate them) how they can charge more and tell them how to do better work. What can it hurt? If only 50% listen and do as you said then it was still a major improvement and maybe the other 50% will burn out before long right?

Just my two cents,
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

god not this again. why on earth do u want to teach/educate your competition? this thinking is bizzare at best. i want my competition out, not taught how to run a bizness and do good work so they can compete against me.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

OMG! I am soooooo tired of scrub whining! :dizzy:
  5. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i may have a scrub static because i am just starting out and don't have all the top end equipment u guys have. yea i just underbid on three cleanups not intentionally but because u live and u learn and now i'm paying for it. i think bhb has a great idea god knows i can u some education
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

exactly my point! if u were in my service area, why on earth would i want to "educate" you? it would be in my best interest to watch u continue to take a beating, and eventually go under. not that i want that to happen to you, but from a business standpoint..... well, u get it. anyway, good luck to u