1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting and Ending

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by uph50001, Feb 24, 2009.

1. uph50001

uph50001 LawnSite Member

Just wanted some advice about when do you start and end your mowing season. How many weeks of mowing do you give them an estimate for. and how many times for Spring and Fall clean ups do you give them an estimate for. thanks Dusty
  2. uph50001

uph50001 LawnSite Member

I am Sorry i live in Michigan...... that might help a little bit.
  3. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Approx 28 to 32 mowings in Nebraska. Starting 1st or 2nd week in April normally, ending Late October, early Nov. Clean ups in March and Nov/Dec depending on Mother nature of course....
  4. jay_b_demented

jay_b_demented LawnSite Member

i live in mi too. althrough i dont have my own company yet, i do work for someone. everyyear is a bit different but it seems to start around mid april to mid Nov. we tell them how much per week and bill every month.
  5. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

+1.....usually we can start last week of March
  6. KensLawnCare

KensLawnCare LawnSite Member

usually 1st week of may is every week for me, last year i went weekly around the middle of may,we need rain drought is gonna be bad come april thats the dryest time
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Every year is different around here, some years are warmer earlier than others, thus allowing you to start earlier. Usually I start mowing towards the end of April or by May 1st. Dethatching/spring clean-ups start usually early to mid april, again depending on the weather. And ending the year is also different from year to year. This past year I was finishing up some clean-ups almost into December. Usually the end is around mid November. I would budget for 26 cuts about.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Funny how some want a Number on this, What I have found that when our BUSY season starts, around March, this really gives me a break from the winter months, from clean ups. tree work, office work, and bidding. I spend a lot of time "in the off season" " if there is such a thing" talking to clients, Appartment complexes. and such,
    there is really NO off season or down time, now for me anyway.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's because you are a landscape maintenance GOD!!!!!!!!
  10. Sturob

Sturob LawnSite Member

I avg. 26 cuts last year starting April 6th.