starting BR400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Mar 5, 2003.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm cleaning my equipment getting ready for the 2k3 season. I clean the carbs and air filters on my BR400s . My help always complain how hard it is to start the stihl br400 blowers. It usually takes 3 pulls in choke mode. It starts to fire. Then 2-3 pulls off choke and it starts and runs. My question is for any tips or adjustments I can make to improve ease of starting? If the blowers are hot enough they will start right back up but even the 15-20 min between startups cools them down enought to require choke mode. I haveNOTreplaced the sparkplugs!

2. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with a BR420 I bought last year. My echo's all start after one pull with choke on, then one with it off. Will start with one pull the rest of the day with choke off. I'd like to know also if there is a fix.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think br400s have a mind of their own when starting. i find it usually takes two choke pulls, and two non choked to get it fired. if its hot like you say, it starts right up. i find if you flood it, you will be there for 15 min trying to get it started.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

My Br400 is 5 years old and has always been 2-3 pulls on choke and 1-2 off choke to start it. Unless it has only been off for a couple of minutes, it is always the same. I live with it the way it is because it never fails to start.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My BR 320 is 3 years old and has done that from day one. I don't think that it is something that can be fixed easily. Wouldn't know where to begin. Good luck to you!

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

My Echos have also done that since day one. You Stihl guys aren't the only ones cursed.:D

7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. Seems like it doesn't take much to flood. Than it takes forever to start. One guy that helps on installs and other landscaping takes care of mowing when I'm out of town. He said I should look into another blower. I said that it works fine. He said he couldn't get it started and gave up after 15min.'s of trying. He ended usind a broom. I got home and started up fine after a few pulls.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is usually 1 choke pull and 2-3 non choke pulls. br420 here.

9. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Echo have primer bulbs on there carbs, stihl does not, the first couple of pulls when it is cold helps it prime up.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My Stihl was always 2 choke then 1 after for the first of the day. If using regularly throughout the day, it was 1 to 2 pulls from then on. No more choke.

Tell them to quit whinning, or you could get them brooms.;)