Starting business and want to know which kind of mower to get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 31, 2003.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am Just starting out in my own business and want to know what mower I should buy, I don't think I would want a riding one but a walk behing is fine. How big of a deck do I want?? If I am gonna spend a lot of money I want something I am gonna have a long time and be good for the future and work with every project I do. Any suggestions with prices would help. Also any otehr equipment I should think about getting? I am just looking to be point in a general direction.
    Thanks
    Dylan
    :waving:

2. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a SCAG 48 inch Walkbehind belt drive, cost was $3500. I still have that mower today. I would suggest the SCAG because it is one tough mower, and if this is the first big mower you are gonna drive around, chances are you are gonna hit a few objects (such as a brick wall....:blush: ) before you get good at it. In my experience, SCAG is unbeatably tough and reliable, and the manufacturer stands behind the warranties.
    I use Echo 2 cycle equipment, some say Stihl is better, and I cant dispute that, I really dont know, but I will always and only get Echo. Never had a problem with them. Straight shaft trimmer, stick edger, and a good back pack blower.
    You will also need a trim mower, 21 inches or so. Toro, Lawnboy, Snapper, as long as its commercial, its fine.
    Stay away from John Deere lawn products, I have had bad experiences with them. And for all you people who are gonna get mad about that comment, chill out, its just my opinion.
    Diesel pickup truck and a trailer for hauling everything on, a good attitude and solid work ethic, and your ready to go!
    Good luck my man

:cool:

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

EXMARK TURF TRACER Finished business.
    John

745resized.jpg

4. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John, nice mower, whats that silver piece of metal on the back of it?

:cool:

5. John Gamba

from ct

Pro-Slide Novea.com
    John

6. John Gamba

from ct

Or Novae.com

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have scag w/b,but I think exmark tt is better,but I think hustler super w/b is best of all.:D

8. John Gamba

from ct

Have You Used It over the TT?

lazer&tracer resized.jpg

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried them both a little(GIE)but not had a chance to demo on my properties.But that wasn't a super.I like the big tires and big hp on both.I thought "stripe king" was thinkin about jumpin ship??:D

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Lesco 48 inch gear drive = $2199. It is a good starter piece.