Starting Business, Buying Equipment next w/e

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RhettMan, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Heres the deal, i have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 model X2001 dixie chopper 50" for $1300. Its the dixie chopper i have been using for two years now that my dad owns and allows me to use. Im moving my business to my college town in texas, but i see it as starting a new business. I plan to go to a farm equipment auction next weekend to get a trailer. I also plan to get two echo weedeaters and a blower. I know this sounds like childplay to some of you ass-busters out there, but i need to get the most i can out of $3000. Thats all i can afford as i am also a full time college student. So. Questions are....

(1) Is the Dixie Chopper a good deal (fair condition)?
    (2) If so, That leaves $1700 Dollars, how can i best use it?

What i think i need: Trailer, Rider, Walker, 2 weedeaters, blower.

I plan to do Mowing, Triming, edging only.
    Maybe fertilizer when over head is lower.

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

and this will be a one man band.

3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

1300 sounds good if its in good condition like you say it is

4. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

whats the condition on it ??? well taken care of oil changed regulary, etc etc.?? how many hours? im guessing since it is your dads then maintenance has been done. i would go for it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I would ask your dad if you can make payments to the Dixie, spend 2k on a trailer, and you should be able to pick up the other stuff for about a 1 grand. 3k won't take you to far...I just spent bout 15k on lawn stuff this season and I don't have much work lined up!!, and I still need more stuff.