Starting Business, need a vehicle.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by velocicaur, Sep 3, 2005.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I'm making some progress on my plan, but a vehicle is holding me up. I currently have a Pontiac Grand Prix, so that does not help me a whole lot. Ideally, I'd like a 01-02 F250 Diesel. I've started thinking about maybe an explorer, ranger, s10, blazer; something small but can get the job done. The Diesel can do everything well, can plow, tow whatever, etc. But it is very expensive for a new business. (Finance about 10k.) The smaller vehicle can tow and what not, but it can not plow.
    I'd be able to pay cash for the smaller vehicle, which is nice. Is it worth giving up plowing to do this? You have to figure when you plow, supplemental income (to pay for F250), but also to keep customers, attract new customers, etc.

Hopefully this is not *too* confusing. :dizzy:

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You CAN make A TON of money plowing! I think it would be worth getting the truck that can push the plow! Anyway, just my 2 cents, good luck!
  3. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

You know, I actually have been waiting for a long time, for someone to say something like this. I know almost exactly how you feel. When I first started, I was in the same sitiuation. I had just gotten rid of my Grand Cherokee Jeep. All I had left was my Grand Am. I really wasn't in the business at all. All I did at the time, was mow my church grass for free, and even then, I had my jeep to haul my pushmower, blower, trimmer, and small items.

I knew I wanted to get in the business, but I really needed a truck. Well, didn't have the money really, but needed a truck. Well, one day my job asked if anybody was interested in doing one of their properties. I thought great, a free way to get started, plus build up money to get newer equipment. PROBLEM: No frigging truck to haul the stuff. At the same time, an elderly lady from church asked me to mow her lawn downtown. Just frigging GREAT!!!!!! Money rolling right into the frigging storm drain.

Then I decided, screw it! I would use my Grand Am until I got some money or whatever, to get a truck. It worked, but I sure as heck hated. You had to completely disassemble and reassemble the lawn mower. Plus you had to put it in the front passenger seat (wouldn't fit in the rear). Boy I sure looked proffessional!

Well, one day another manager asked me if I would be interested in doing a job for one of her people. I went to look at it, and I needed at least a tractor to do it. GREAT! :( I had no truck to haul a tractor around. Here, I might lose another easy to get customer. Boy I was pissed. While thinking about it. It hit me - the solution that is, plus my wife. :) Buy an old truck, that looked halfway decent for a little bit of money. AND put it on the credit card. I know some people say, don't do that. But if I hadn't, I would lost several really to get accounts. The paint on the roof coming off, but it was fixable. it cost me $750 to buy the truck. I still wasn't too comfortable about looking proffessional, but it was coming. I fixed the roof, myself. Bought a trailer. I also had a co-worker that was an artist. He paints medieval shields (for family coat of arms) for me on the side. I asked him to come up with a logo, and if looked nice, would he paint the truck with it and trailer.

I really felt - my business would take off in no time! I was proud of my new business - even if it had a ways too go.

No matter what (IMO), don't let others discourage you. Even though it may suck at first. And if your furst 1, 2, or 3rd customer doesn't care how you get your equipment to their site, take the job. In this business, you have so much to learn, no matter how long or no matter what equipment you have. YUou may get lost on the road to your dreams, but don't give up - just find another route to get there.You can always build from there. If ever need any encouragement or whatever, pm me if you want.

GREEN GOLD LawnSite Member

I Know Where You Are Coming From Youdont Want Any Over Head But Dieseil Are Nice.

I Will Share This As Farequipment And Trucks

2 Winters Ago I Was Cutting Firew0od For A Customer In My Truck. As I Finished The Job I Was Driving And Abank That Was Hold Me Up Slid Down With Me In My Truck And Hit A Tree!! As You Know I Survived And Truck Survie Due To Having A Winch On It But It Had Damage. I Sold It And Bought Another Due I Neded The 4 Wheel Drive To Relaible

As Foras My Mower Are Concerned All My Equipment Was Paid For Util Last Mower Flew Off My Trailer Torn The Rear Axle Off And Guess What Time To Get A New Mower But Guess What New Mower Does Not Fit The Old Trailer Guess Again New Trailer

Sometimes That Is Goes
  5. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. It can go both ways and I'm still thinking about it. I agree that there is alot of money in plowing, and it seems to me, that it will be easier to start/break into that rather than going full bore into lawncare.

Thanks again,
  6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Diesel's are looking more attractive everyday b/c of gas prices. The better mileage, added torque and sometimes lower fuel cost will pay for the extra cost of the diesel. Also, we you go to sell your diesel it'll hold it's value better and you'll make that extra cost back for the most part (IMO).

The next truck we get may be a 6.6L Duramax Diesel GMC Sierra 4X4. Currently we run 1500 series 5.3L Sierra's and they're great, but it sure would be nice to have the diesels.