Starting business spring '06

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4curbappeal, Jan 7, 2006.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all!

Great site! I am a full time real estate agent looking into making a little extra money! (10-12 jobs a week) Does anyone have experience with bank-owned homes? Being in the real estate bus. I can get as much of these as I can handle. Any input would be appreciated. Also, I am looking at doing mostly 1/2 acre lawns and less. Is a Ferris IS 1500Z 48" sufficient? Thank You!!!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Tall grass with hidden obstacles, one time gig, and no idea what hood you will be in. I believe they are a better investment tool than a mowing prospect, plus your customer is trying to save as much $ as possible-

Area to look at is vacant listing maintenance. As an agent you know that you want your listing to look as good as possible at all times and get as much money as possible, so it needs proper care. Your are in a perfect spot to offer that service, plus the customer will pay because there is return on his investment. And because it is short term (we hope--real estate agent wise), they will not worry to much about paying a higher rate.

Now as a Charlotte based Real Estate agent, I will be happy to take care of any of your customers that need transfer down here. We are RELO and do pay fees out. PM me if you ever have a need.
    Happy mowing.

Oh another service we offer is new listing clean up. Most homeowners never edge the grass and most landscape can be trimmed back to look neater. Easy sell as the 2-500 that they pay you will almost always come back to them in selling price. Just tell the seller that if the landscape looks neat it removes the "maintenance thoughts" from the buyers mind. Make that house tour a positive one. The sellers will love it.

Another point is that you need to get employees doing this work for you as fast as possible so you can be out selling, which is much more profitable than pushing a mower.

3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Great advice! Thank you for your professional opinion in both areas. I will be in touch.

Tim