starting business.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by diamondcare, Aug 7, 2005.

1. diamondcare

diamondcare LawnSite Member

at a mere fifteen years old, i've been in the lawn business three years and had only about 15 different jobs. currently (and to my surprise) this year i only have two jobs, just two neighbors. last year i had a good eight, which was enough to keep me busy for the summer and after school during season.

however, i've been waiting and waiting and finally its time to expand. expand meaning, a truck, a witty name, and finally a way to transport myself from job to job without walking.

but i'm looking into equipment to purchase to start off for next year. i expect to get at LEAST ten jobs with the three neighborhoods i'm going to put flyer's in and possibly advertise in "The Localite" for like three dollars.

i understand its a big investment into your equipment, but i don't feel a 21" craftsman push mower is going to cut it.

also, i'm wondering how i should go about pricing. i've read on this website that many people use a set price and many estimate. i'd probalby go with a set price ($25, then add $5 for corner lots), but would estimate if i knew anythinga bout it. (i mow, trim, edge, and blow)

so i ask:

1) What equipment should I purchase starting off? I know I'm young, but I'll need a job and I actually enjoy mowing, so I'm willing to invest money into the business.

2) How do ya'll go about estimating...are there any websites that can explain it well, and for waht i do (mow trim edge blow) what should be a base price?

I know people aren't going to want to pay some sixteen year old kid 35 dollars to mow their lawn, but i'm serious about it and have been, just a little unlucky because some guy up the street has "claim" on 60% of lawns in this neihgborhood that use a lawn service.

please help, i've been on this site for hours now reading up and down the beginner forum and just decided to ask my questions directly.

Diamond Care
    "because your lawn is precious to us."

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They may not be willing to pay "some 16 year old kid" $35 to maintain their lawn, but they will sure be paying "some ambitious young adult who is conciencious of his work and takes his time and great pride in what he does"It sounds to me like you're a "go-getter". It's all in the attitude. If you do a good job, TAKE the little extra time for detail, it will catch on real fast that you're a quality type service, not just a "taker".

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

1) i would stick with the craftsman until you get enough to really need a bigger walk-behind. I love my eXmark, i would suggest a 36" because of gates.

2)Do a search on the site (in the top green bar) on estimating or pricing, lots of good posts on that. As long as you do a good job, word of mouth advertising will take you a long way.

I am kind of in the same situation, but have been cuttin for awhile and have a good amount of equipment. Good Luck, you will learn a lot from this site.