Starting Business?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lance58, Feb 6, 2008.

1. lance58

lance58 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I've had my lawncare business for some time now and want to start doing tractor work. Bushhogging, house pads, driveways, etc. I don't have a tractor right now and was wondering how you guys started up and got business going? I hate to go buy a tractor and not be able to keep it busy. Let me hear some thoughts. Thanks.

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, you beat me to it. I was going to ask this exact question earlier this morning lol. TinyTractorService, I want to hear from you:). You've got a sweet setup.

All you excavation guys, speak up! I want to get away from lawncare and get into more specialized work.

How do you guys charge for your services? Hourly or flat rate? Where do you look to get jobs?

I can't wait to hear from some of you! :D

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I could provide your information, but interested in what you find out.

I'm looking to do the same thing in a couple of years, maybe along with my lawn care. I'm looking to add a 30-40hp tractor with loader, bush hog, pulverizer, etc.

Good luck to y'all...and bump.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Tractor work is for the birds. Maintenance, landscaping, and irrigation is where the money is.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Bush hogging can be ok money. We have a min of $200 no matter what, and thats just for a little 1 acre lot less then 20 miles away. After that we price it by the time the job takes plus drive time. Grading is better money as it usually takes less time.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

your not going to find much work in dirt right now...we are the slowest we have ever been and it is really hitting the industry hard. we make ok money with our farm service, but we do a lot of hay and corn mazes, and we have much larger tractors then i imagine you will be using. We charge $80 an hour for a 100hp tractor (no loader)...for a mid sized loader tractor to stay competitive you are looking probably around $60-$65