Starting Fluid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcguy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Quick question for those more mechanicly inclined than myself. I purchased a new Bobcat 36" walk behind April 6th. The past few days I have really been pulling the cord a lot to get it started, took me about five minutes yesterday. Today, every time I pulled it backward (in neutral, no brakes on), the left drive belt slipped off. So I took it in to the dealer. They're looking at it tomorrow, hopefully in time to mow in the afternoon. Anyway, the guy @ the counter (not a mechanic) said to carry starter fluid to get it started easier. Does this sound right? The 15 horse Kawi has less than 10 hours on it for crying out loud. I just dropped over 3k into a machine I have to use fluid to start?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me like the throttle cable has shifted and isnt choking the engine, kawa's are cold natured even in the summer, I wouldnt use very much starting fluid
  3. starting fluid will work great for awhile then one day you'll be putting on a new engine, very hard on them.
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

It should start 1st or second pull. NO ETHER.
  5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Kawasakis have to be choked to start. Take the air cleaner out and look down into the carburetor with the throttle position in choke. The butterfly should be closed all the way. If it's not, adjust the cable so it does. If it still doesn't start easily you have other issues.
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, save the starting fluid for that old piece of equipment that doesn't start like it used to. A month old engine should start in a couple pulls. Being a kawasaki (as somebody already said) they are a bit cold blooded from my experience but still shouldn't be more than four or five pulls. maybe have someone work the throttle while you visually verify that at the choke setting the cable is fully closing the chioke. If not it could cause it to take some extra pulling to get it started.
  7. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick response. I'm confident the dealer will fix it. I've known their head mechanic and owners for years, good, honest people. And I think I'll abstain from the fluid.
  8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

This is the exact thing that happened to me. It would take 3 men and a boy to start my Kawasaki. Ones I adjusted the cable so the choke shut all the way it started fine. It only takes 2 pulls to start from cold now. Maybe 3 if it hasn't run in a few days.