Starting from blank...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by freshlycut, Aug 18, 2007.

1. freshlycut

freshlycut LawnSite Member

OK i've spend a good portion of my youth mowing neighbors lawns to the point i know it's in my blood. I want to start a business. I want to start small/parttime behind my regular job. I plan on spending the fall and winter researching for next year. I want to know what i need. Tools, equipment, ect. I have read alot on this board and i know that advertising will be a large part of if. But for someone starting off small what equipment would you recommend to get started?

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Part of it may deal with what kind of neighborhood you will be in.

Suppose you were going to work in the mid-upper class hilltop area of Portland near Council Crest Park, you may need a small trailer.

It's nearly historic. Old nice homes, narrow streets, some yards without driveways and parking limited. But a very attractive neighborhood.

Anyway, you would want a small trailer - not a real wide one. And that would probably dictate the size of the mower and equipment you would use.

3. freshlycut

Thank you MD. I live in West Virginia. There are two area's where i would be concentrating on. The town i live in is small but still has a bit of big properties and new contruction being built. Morgantown is a college town. It's pretty big with a nice mixture of commercial and personal growth. But the problem is it's built on a mountain (like most of this state is) so some streets can be pretty narrow.

4. freshlycut

OK so what would be a good budget and what would you get to start out with? I've got a good bit of money saved.

5. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

Blower, trimmer and mower is really all you need to start. My first mower was a 36" used walk behind. I hate push mowing so i don't take lawns where my 36 does not fit and then i got a 48" right after that. (found a good deal) It all depends on where you want to take your business and how much money you want to invest to start.
    I know a guy who started with a push mower in the back of his car and a push broom and now he does it all and is one of the states largest.

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Craigslist and common cents magazines may be your best friend for the best used equipment deals...

7. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

check ebay too--you may or may not be surprised

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I start small and work upward.

Get two of everything small, to carry at all times.

Always have...

2 loppers
    2 leaf rakes
    2 hand pruners
    2 pruning saws
    2 shears - maybe one hand and one gas - but always 2

And always have 2 mowers - one might be enough to drive around with, but never go into business without a second backup: even a $200 one.

The spare mower is a good choice to mow over ivy and ground covers with.

Then work up into the bigger stuff until your budget is used up.

9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I started this summer with a new 5x10 trailer, a $40.00 used push mower, a $40.00 used echo trimmer, a homelite handeld blower, and a $500.00 home edition ZTR rider.
    I was going for the closest I could get to professionalism. I bought a small toolbox for my gas cans and small trimming tools, and I built my own trimmer rack.
    If you go to a dealer or contact smaller lawn care businesses,. Youll find someone that is selling used equipment or something else of use to you.

10. freshlycut

thank you guys very much