Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jworkman, Oct 6, 2006.

1. jworkman

jworkman LawnSite Member

I am 21 married 1 yr. Oct 15th work 2 part time jobs starting one full time job next week and still want a little extra money coming in. If I do decide to do this i only want about 10 lawns. My ques. is? what would be a good way to start i.e. what equip. to get (truck and trailer, van and trailer, weed eater, ext.) when all i have is a 20" cut push mower I use around the house.

Thanks

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for one it really depends on how big these ten lawns will be,if there under a 1\4 acre just use the push mowerthrow a trimmer and blower in the back of the truck. If there large properties you wont want to be push mowing 3\4 acre lots or larger i would think. Equipment can be very expensive,if your in this to make a few extra bucks to me 10 lawns just is not worth it ,not tring to discourage you at all,but if all you have is 20 in. push mower. you could spend 5-10 thousand real quick if you have a truck or S.U.V.,Trailer and trimmers and blowers.Oh yes a insurance and a tax I.D #

3. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i was cutting 4 yards a week with a 21 mower(craftsman self propeled)with my crafstman weed eater and blower.it got real old loading and unloading that mower.i now own a trailer,a 36 ferris hydro walk behind with the same trimmer and blower and i only use the 22 when i have to.im about 4500 dollars poorer but i dont have to load that mower into my truck again and yards go a lot faster.............

4. MANICURED LAWNS

MANICURED LAWNS LawnSite Member

If you don't have the need for a trailer then don't buy one . If you plan on just using the 20" then throw it in whatever you already have. Are you planning on getting a business liscense or just goin out and mowin for cash? My advice would be get those 10 clients save the money buy a cheap trailer and small ZTR mower get a few more clients to fill in the time you wouldve been doin the first 10. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff your wife will kill you or make your life miserable for spending the money. You're 21 go slow but if you get 20-30 jobs you wouldn't have to bother with a full time job and you could see more of your family. Good luck

5. jworkman

jworkman LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice it really gives me more to think about before I try to do this. Yes I would like to get my linceses and try to do this full time.

Thanks again