Starting From Scratch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yazooguy123, Jan 2, 2007.

1. yazooguy123

yazooguy123 LawnSite Member

So say you have the equipment already, Zero Turn, Walk behind, extra trimmers and backpack blowers, truck and trailer(Soon to be Cabover Truck) I know I need to get insured and bonded and also need to register as a business. What I am talking about is going to get the actual customers, I have a bunch of buddies that are making it really well in an highly above average income community, I have met with them and they had told me what they did, but I still would like to hear some other options. Thanks guys.

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Advertise do a quality job and market your buisness to those communities as well.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Before doing any advertising I would first settle on a service area you will work in. Flyers/doorhangers are great for targeting specific neighborhoods. See if there are any local papers that go to your areas.

There are tons of ways to advertise, it all depends on your budget...

4. yazooguy123

Thanks the county I live in is actually the fastest growing county in the state. New home growth is amazing. thousands of new homes will be finished before summer. I was thinking about 40,000 bulk rated mailers purchased from the post office. there is a local section for our county in the State paper. After speaking to some other people I have heard about a 2 percent return from any mailings that you send out. Do you agree?

5. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree sometimes its more. It all depends on the service you CAN provide.
    Did your friends tell you the going rate for some of the services are?

6. yazooguy123

The going rate for an acre in my area is about $48-60. Now the homes are a little bigger in my area. So you are actually mowing about a half acre. But I have been mowing for a friend for the last 8 years at 120 yards per week. But people's houses now are being built on 1/2 acres and going for 40-50 depending on the difficulty of the yard. but we would knock out an acre in about 25 mins.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

2% would be a fair estimate of the response rate. Many marketing people will tell you it's more effective to advertise to the same homes multiple times, if that's an option for you money-wise.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Make up some half page flyers on color paper and get to walking door to door.