starting from scrath help?????????

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jocky boy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jocky boy

jocky boy LawnSite Member

Hi all

well i have moved into my house a few months ago and i have just sand and i am ready to put down the lawn.
    at the moment my sand is level with my driveway there was a lot of kootch on the sand from place to place so i dug it all up god i will not be getting that as turf it was a nightmare.

i have lifted up the sand at a depth of 8inch is that enough i am going to put peat and soil mix down then turf on top.
    should i weed kill the sand first and leave for a week or 2 then put it down?
    is peat and soil mix OK, anything better. i have been told it's a good idea to put down plastic sheet down then the soil then the grass :confused:
    i have put it down when i have put gravel, pebbles down stopping weed.
    I dont want to make ANY MISTAKES as my neighbours lawns have weeds coming through theres.
    best turf buffalo what do you all think.
    appreciate all the help
    john: usflag:

2. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

Hi John,

I find it best to add compost to sandy soil as it improves moisture retention, improves the texture of the soil and adds good microbes. Not sure why you would use peat, but once dry it's difficult to rewet (ever let a houseplant dry out and when you water, the water just sits there?), peat has a low pH and can make your soil more acid and is low in nutrients.
    http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/facts/peat.htm
    http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/orgmatter/#peat

I'm not sure I completely understand what you've done. You said, "i have lifted up the sand at a depth of 8inch". Does that mean you removed 8" of sand and now you will add the topsoil and amendments?

I'm not a fan of herbicides, but if you removed the sand then I would think there aren't any weeds now.

If you must add topsoil, I would suggest a mix of 60% topsoil and 40% compost. Unless your soil is pure sand, consider just adding 4" of compost and mixing it into the existing soil. The problem with bringing in topsoil is the risk of bringing in weed seeds with it. Compost heats up in the process of breaking down and that kills the weed seeds.

I'm confused too. Not a good idea. The water won't have anywhere to drain to and what's the purpose. If I understand you, you'll be adding 8" of soil. What do they think will sprout through that?

I don't know what grasses are used in Australia, but here's some info on buffalo grass.
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/buffalo.html

Maybe looking through this California site will be helpful as much of their climate is similar to yours.
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/index.html

Newt

3. jocky boy

Newt hi

thanks for all the info excellent to get good info will take a lot on board.

the grass i was thinking of using is buffalo, sir walter, palmento ? what do you think

after i lifted a lot of cootch up from the sand that is 1 type of grass i will never use drove me nuts digging it up :dizzy:

john. :usflag:

4. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

5. jocky boy

Newt hi

could you tell me to me this is very confusing WHY do people use cootch grass, for myself it was nothing but trouble to remove.
    i am in port kennedy wa and there has been a lot of rain lately so i will have to wait to get started just want to get in there and get it done.

john

6. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

John, I have no idea why people plant the things they plant. :confused: My guess is that it seeded in by itself and got out of control. It's not something we find here in the US as far as I know.

Hope you got it all.

Newt

7. jocky boy

Hi Newt,

cooch grass is a nightmare very stringy lots and lots of roots.
    well we get it here in wa and also in uk i had it in my old rental very stringy. it is very common in the uk. i think more and more people use buffalo e.t.c. have a look on google you will see it there.

Newt this is a question for you youv'e never had or heard on this site i am opening up a barber buisness and am looking for a name any ideas the name just now is harvey's barbers.

john