1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Starting from square 1

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Diddy, Dec 6, 2011.

  1. Diddy

    Diddy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 127

    Hi guys I’m located in southwestern pa. I have a couple of question. I would like to become legit lawn service like with insurance, taxes, and appropriate licenses.

    Can anyone help me out with how a go about doing this. Thanks so much.
  2. jsslawncare

    jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,674

    1. Get a business license
    2. Get insurance
    3. Get customers
    4. Pay taxes on profit (my wife is my account)
    It's simple to start that's why evertone does it.
  3. Diddy

    Diddy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 127

    thank you. how do i go about getting a buisness liscense?
  4. jsslawncare

    jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,674

    Look in your phone book under the phone numbers for your county/city. Look for business liscense phone number and call them.
  5. Diddy

    Diddy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 127

    ok thank you i had no idea thats where i should look thanks
  6. ralph02813

    ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI
    Posts: 1,041

    Check with your state you can do it on the web check both the department or division of agricultural and the dept of business regulations you may not need alicense, but you do need the rest.
  7. 32vld

    32vld LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,984

    Depends what state county or town you live. In NY no state license. Where I live no town license, but there is a county license.

    Google your state county and town license requirements. Also a garden supply center and I mean a garden supply center not the excuse of a garden center you find stuck on the end of Lowes or Wally World. Go pay that garden center owner a visit. In a few minutes of talk he (in my case it was a she) will tell you the laws and license's need for your location.

    Where I'm am you have to get a Home Improvement contractors license. It covers about 30 different titles of work related to home and grounds services, including snow removal.

    And besides having to be licensed to put down pesticides you have to be licensed now to put down fertilizer.
  8. Diddy

    Diddy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 127

    thank you. ill give that i try next
  9. Diddy

    Diddy LawnSite Member
    Posts: 127

    wheres a good place for me to look into liability insurance
  10. mbigred

    mbigred LawnSite Member
    Posts: 214


Share This Page