Starting from the Ground Floor

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ELC Lawn Care, May 9, 2008.

1. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

New guy here and I am looking at taking very small baby steps for the next 9 to 12 months to begin a solid part time business with the long term goal (3 to 5years) of making it full time. (wife finishes degree in 3years and will return full time to the work force)

Here are the beginning questions.

1. I am planning on creating a LLC. I also know that I will need a business license. Which one do you do first. (I live in Tennessee)
    2. I am planning on offering the following services... mowing, trimming, edging, light landscape, power washing. Will I need to collect sales tax on any of those services?
    3. Any other "starting from the ground floor" business tips I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

2. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

One more question, is there anyone located within a few hours of Knoxville TN that would mind if I spent a day or two learning how you run your business?

3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You can spend a month with me for $3000. I'll teach you everything. Then you'll be able to start your business up much faster. There's a cheap hotel you can stay at in my area for $275/week. I've got a complete educational program ready for you. You're not going to be ready with a day or two of hanging with somebody.