Starting in FL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sparcolawn, Feb 9, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I'm from the North East and eventually want to move down to Florida but whenever i go down there i see millions of LCO's... so my question is how easy is it to start and run a successfull business down there?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

In other posts, it seems people from Florida complain of the number of LCO's down there in Florida, as well as trying to compete with operations that are not legally run (insurance, payroll, license's etc). In a big market like that you have to be extremely efficient and find a niche and concentrate on just that. Search for Florida in the search feature here and do some reading.
  3. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

Sell your business on Quality, a lot of my customers just want it done right and tell me to send them a bill, there are a few LCO"s in Florida I admit, especially after the Hurricanes, but be selective and don't let anybody tell you it won't take a little while to build up a good base of customers because it will, if you want to make money, so have a little socked away for the beginning...advertise, realtors and cold calling for me has worked very well....good luck
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can think of other places to go besides Florida...the Carolinas for one.

Brian (Coastal) doesn't know it, but one day we're gonna be friendly neighbors having our evening sundowner on the Grand Strand.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

In-laws (retired to Florida) live in Tampa in a mobile home park. They get it cut for $10 for a nice corner lot. A retiree in the park cuts it for spending money using a Sears rider. So you would compete with lots of LCO AND retirees making a few extra dollars.
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been doing this for 14 years in the Tampa area. Ive seen guys come and go all the time and they are the ones that drive the price down.
    There is no middle pricing. I tried that a long time ago. Either the customer wants a low price and then later cancels cause I didnt include certain jobs into the price and goes with some who charges more to do more and then I have to remind them that I would have done that like when I explained that to them when I picked them up.
    Or the high priced customer switches cause he found someone who cut my price in half.
    Plus every firefighter here is a LCO too. Which I think sucks cause they do this partime and they get all the insurance benefits and I have to pay a 1,000 a month for health insurance for my family and I do this full time.
    Im very tempted to head to a northern state cause they make just as much as I do and work half as much.
    I would do a search and see how bad it really is here.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell you from experience that I make twice as much and don't work nearly as hard. But it's not half as much.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see, no snow. I call it cold when it is below 60 in february. I grossed almost $80K in my first year out (solo).

The thing is you need to offer some real services, do a great job, be honest and on time, do the extras like sodding (huge profit center).

florida has tons of scrubs, slack jaws, craftsman wannabees and others who make life interesting. But if you chase their market you get what you deserve. If you develop a business that is way more professional than a mow and blow service with dull blades AND you know something about marketing, the business is here for the taking.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Rod, we never met but I always had a great deal of respect for you.
    Not any more. How could you encourge people to come open shop in the Carolinas. That just what we need is more competition. :rolleyes:

sparcolawn,there is no grass in the Carolinas so you would go broke. Bad idea to move here.