1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mjealey, Jul 7, 2008.

1. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys, I have called local government and I keep getting several different awnsers. Here are my questions:

1. In tennessee do you have to get a federal tax ID#?

2. In the Knoxville area who else do you have to register your business? Some people have told me that I do not need a license if I a just going to be mowing. Is this true?

Anybody from Tennessee please help me!
  2. marthanmike1959

marthanmike1959 LawnSite Member

I was going to work part time in Cookeville Tn i injured my back so i will have to put off for awhile.I checked with local goverment here and i would have to get city and county license .Tax id i dont know didnt get that far this year.
  3. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure if your just a sole-proprietor, your able to use your SSN as your Tax ID but it looks more business like if you have one. I have been wrong before though.
  4. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

The only sure thing about gov't. is that you will get a different answer every time you call.

I think you would be find it beneficial to call a CPA firm and ask them what would be required for your local area and state requirements from a reporting standpoint. They will be able to help you get started.

If you want any help with bidding, contracts, marketing templates, etc. check out my web site at [COLOR="Blue"]www.profitsareus.com[/COLOR]. We have many different manuals and Cd's that will help you with your business.

Good luck.