starting in the biz...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike101, Sep 3, 2005.

1. mike101

mike101 LawnSite Member
    from ga

This site has been great! I have learned so much from reading the forum. I will be starting next year so ill have many questions....some may be very stupid! So bare with me.....the first question that i have is about a WB mower. I have looked at many different kinds over the past few months. I talked to a gravely dealer yesterday and he told me that I dont need a floating deck with scalp wheels on it? He said that because the wheel base is so close that it wont matter and i wouldnt scalp any lawns with it. Is this true.. the model he was refering to was a 36" wb. And do i have to have hydro?

thanks for all your help and get ready for question after question.

Mike

2. mike101

mike101 LawnSite Member
    from ga

Well i was hoping to get some good feedback but it looks like Im not going to get any feedback at all.......Ill just keep reading the other comments and see what info i can pick up. thanks

mike

3. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

with a mower that small i would not need a floating deck at all the regular one will do fine because he is right with the wheels being close together but anything over a 48 inch is a must in my opinion

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

whether or not you need floating decks is a matter of geometry. Specifically, the types of properties you mow, flat or filled with swells and dips and the size of those. In most cases, a 36 is small enough to not "bridge" these areas, but in a few situations, it may. The key is to match equipment to what you will be using it for. If every property you have is flat as a board, you could run a 50 foot deck with no float. Floating capacity is only about accomodating quick terrain changes. You know your properties better than any one else, if you constantly scalp or bridge and miss areas, then you may need to consider float or different mow patterns/equipment.

5. mike101

mike101 LawnSite Member
    from ga

thanks for your help guys...I live in ga and every yard is different. Exmark make a 36" with a floating deck maybe ill look into it. thanks again.

mike

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

in my experience, a 36 mower does not need a floating deck. operator should be able to cut most rough, uneven areas with a standard deck. Trim anything you cannot mow. operator error will cause you more damage than a rigid deck. that small of a mower, i would save th $ and go with a belt-drive. good luck next season

7. mike101

mike101 LawnSite Member
    from ga

everyone keeps saying "that small mower" ? should i be buying something bigger? I didnt think you could get anything bigger throught most gates? should i upgrade to a 48" or is there anything in between.

8. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

Mike,

I live in GA also. You need a floating deck. I just bought my first commercial 36 inch walk behind. I went with the Exmark floating deck, mulch kit, and sulky, belt drive. I wish now that I went with a hydro drive. Although, if you plan on using the 36 as a second mower, belt drive is ok. What I plan on doing is using my belt drive 36 as a second mower and buy a ZTR Exmark 44 inch next season. I will be all set with one helper. The hard part is finding the helper. Where are you in GA. I would be more than willing to talk to you some more. slewitt@adelphia.net