Starting in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by dnacker, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

I live in Waukesha county in Wisconsin. My business will primarily be cutting lawns. I intend to do this on a part time basis to start just by myself. I am trying to find out what licenses and permits I need to start and run my business. I called Waukesha county register of deeds and they did not give me an answer. I went to the city where I live and told them that I intend to run a business out of my home. They proceeded to give me and "application
    for conditional use" which carries a $500 application fee. Needless to say, everywhere I go someone gives me a different answer.

Basically I need to know what I need to do this business legally.

Thank you for your help

Dave

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave, welcome. Most city's have rules or zoning against business running out of a residential area. Most part time lawn care operators do so anyway. The secret is to stay low key. Keep the mowers put away, do not leave your truck out in the road all day....ect. You may want to start by asking you neighbors before you by anything. That should give you a good feel if anyone will complain or " turn you in ". to a zoning board. In Wisconsin you need a sellers permit from the state, and you need to charge sales tax for mowing. If you are going to do applications ( fert & squirt) you need to pass a state certification test and pay a license fee. Hope this helps. Look for a thread in this form call Wisconsin Fox Valley and beyond. You will see some guys from your area. PR