Starting Landscaping Company, Accepting payment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MrBrownThumb, Mar 4, 2012.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Who then are the checks made out to?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Is that question to me if so reread my first line I was quite clear on that. Business checking account thus checks are written in the business name I do not and recommend no one co-mingles personal moneys with the business moneys.

3. grandview (2006)

this part :confused:

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I see what I said and how it was read could be different.

and no
    was an answer in its self in reference to personally made out checks

checks must be made out to my business name
    was said to mean just that.

I think faster then I speak and I speak faster then I type. Perfect grammar has never been valued by me nor do I claim to have it. Amazing what a pause at the right time can do.

5. grandview (2006)

ok Checks are to be made out to the business.

6. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Yes, you need to open a business account.....but first you must be an actual business!
    If you are a legit business, and just deposit your payments into your own personal account, then when taxes come around......you will be screwed.

Its not as easy as it sounds tho. I am on my 3rd year now, and still learning little tricks n tips about payments/taxes/organizational skills.
    My brother and I did the "pay as you go" type deal for most of the first 2 years, and it was awful. We finally have it correct with monthly payments and have our customers on contract. Seems to be working well. Wish we did it the first year.

7. jgrs7

jgrs7 LawnSite Member

how are you guys doing your contracts? like say if you have a 35 dollar yard and you cut it every 10 days on the summer and every 15 in the winter. do you just do 105 bucks a month for 12 months? or what?

8. grandview (2006)

Bill monthly for the work you did.

9. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Lebanon, PA

I have found that people HATE contracts. I have never used them for this business or any of my others. If your service is good and the price is good, you won't need them. Trust and faith goes a long way when used properly. Customers do not like the feeling that they are stuck with you for 2 years or whatever length the contract is. My customers tell me that by having a contract, they feel like they are stuck with me no matter how badly my work is done and it just gives the provider a reason to get paid for crappy work.

10. grandview (2006)

My "contact" only has on there what I'm doing and how much it will cost.Quit any time you want.