Starting lawn care business

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by rlander06, Dec 17, 2006.

1. rlander06

rlander06 LawnSite Member

My new Lawn care business equipment. This is the equipment I have 2005 6x12 Doolittle trailer,2005 Toro zero turn 52" rider. 2000 Toro 36" walk behind, 2 Sthil string trimmers, 1 Sthil edge trimmer, 1 Echo backpac blower, 1996 Dodge 1500 4x4 pickup. I am starting my business in 2007 I need all the help and information I can get.

rider.jpg

Walk behind.jpg

Rack with trimmers.jpg

backpac blower.jpg

trailer with equipment1.jpg

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

looks like you have good equipment, do you have any accounts yet, insurance is important, just read lots of stuff on the board. Best advice i can give.,

3. rlander06

I have no account as of yet. end of season. I know I will have my neighbor. I am working on my advertising and looking in for some good insurance. I figured to start a business I would need the equipment first and the insurance and then customers,hope thats right?

4. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously you have had a good outlay of money in that equipment. Just make sure that you aretrying to get accounts that will pay for it all. NO LOWBALLING!!! Do some research in your area as to what people are paying for their service. I don't care if you won the money for the equipment in the lottery, don't leave money on the table when selling your services. No use saying i'll do the job for 25 bucks when the market rate is 30-35. Professionals charge professional rates. Don't sell yourself short!

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why would you buy all that equipment with no accounts? I know when i started out, i had a 21'' mower, the cheapest trimmer, and a cheap blower. I Don't know about you, but you better make sure you get some accounts ASAP.

6. rlander06

If you don`t have the equipment how will the accounts get done. Customers want to see that you have the equipment to do the job. Advertising will be going out in Feb. and hopefully the calls will start coming in.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Your keyword is hopefully. You're taking a huge risk here. You could have bought something used and inexpensive. I won't tell you you how to run your business, but i think you made a big mistake in buying all this equipment without any accounts. Do you have any experience in this field? Ever worked for a landscaping company? BTW, if you dont mind sharing,or me asking, how much did this setup cost you? and how much do you plan on spending towards advertising? I've found out that flyer's don't really work all to well. You should try advertising in your local newspapers. I had great success with that this year. If you have money you can also try placing an ad in the yellow book.

8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Nice equipment, how big is the trailer? The set-up should make you good money!payup

9. rlander06

My whole package deal was $8000. My trailer is 6 x 12. I have done lawn care in the past and want to expand on my own. this is just part of what is offered in my line of work.

10. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I like your setup. it basicaly looks like my setup but without the Toro rider.