Starting lawn care business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lo04chevy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. lo04chevy

lo04chevy LawnSite Member
    from 72401

I have experience in cutting my own lawn. Hardly anyone in my area cutting grass. I have a murray riding mower, weedeater and blower. This is equipment is farely old. Would I be ok for a couple of months and then purchase something nicer? I don't have the funds to buy 2k plus new equipment.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

you have to start somewhere.....

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

AMAZING!!!! An area where there's hardly anyone cutting grass? Is this area extremely rural and/or low income?

4. lo04chevy

from 72401

Maybe 2 or 3 lawn care services. Really isn't low inco. It is northeastern arkansas

5. lo04chevy

from 72401

obviously.....................

:rolleyes:

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The older Murrays actually left a nicer cut than the newer ones. Keep the blades sharp, resharpen every 8-10 hrs. Have something for a backup, even a 21", because your customers will be depending on you. The show must go on, you have to deliver the work product on time with good quality. "My equipment is in the shop" is no excuse.

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

you asked we answer. What do you want me to tell you your equipment is bunk and it wont make it commercially. Well there you go you will spend more trying to fix it then its worth you going out and making money.:hammerhead:

8. lo04chevy

from 72401

exactly. i'm doing residential though.

9. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the set up i have for 3grand. minus the echo and the kaw. The toro isnt comm. but it works and it will get me to the next stage, and it will pay for the new mower when that time comes. 3grand vs. 8grand plus? just starting out in a very tuff economy were our service can come in at a very distant second to food on the table of our customers, its doesnt hurt to start out small. starting out with a LOW over head is a plus! I have 11 grand total wrapped into mine, and itll pay its self off ater this summer hopefully!

10. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Is that a joke?

Step one, get licensed.
    Step two, get insured.
    Step three, get business plan.