Starting Lawn Care Spring '08

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ScottsLandscaping, Dec 24, 2007.

1. ScottsLandscaping

ScottsLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from MI

Hi Guys my name is Scott, I decided to start a lawn care company in the fall of '07. I started to think about how I could make sure I would have about 15 clients in the spring, so I decided to offer snow removal this winter. This winter everything has gone pretty well so far, i distributed about 200 flyers and I have 4 seasonal contracts for snow removal. I am really trying to portray a professional image which I have been successful with thus far. I'm hoping that in doing this I can carry these people over into the lawn care portion. Ok, so on to lawn care. I live in a city where everyone has their lawn cut by someone else, so I have decided that this would be the best place to start. I hope to distribute around 3,000 flyers here and other cities too. I really am hoping for around 15 clients. Now, I will be putting these flyers out by hand not mailing so, I would like to do it once. I know putting them out several times is more effective but I don't know if that will be possible this season. When will be a good time to start passing these flyers out if I am doing it once? I already have a 21" commercial mower, a Redmax 7001 backpack, a trimmer, and a 5x10 trailer. I have plans to purchase a 36" mower before the season starts. Guys, any advice will be appreciated just don't be too harsh :). Merry Christmas!
    -Scott

2. ScottsLandscaping

from MI

Anybody? Input is appreciated. Thanks

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I am sending out all my ads in January and again in March to a more target area. With all those mowers You'll soon want a bigger trailer, I'd go no less than a 6x12.
    yoou mentioned 15 lawns, At 3 a day every day every week, in an 8 month mowing season thats only about 16,800 gross. Then you hav to subtract your expences. Thats not much. I'd aim for 25 weekly customers. That should gross you about 28k in 8 months (before expences) Thats only 5 a day figured at $35 per lawn. It will differ of course for higher priced lawns.

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would say its never to late to advertise. If Im handing out a card, flier or taking about LC I never think about what the season is! When the weather brakes they will run across your ad.

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

A good time to pass out brouchures or flyers is right before the grass begins to grow. Here, it is about March most years. . . I usually do it in two waves, though.

6. ScottsLandscaping

from MI

Ok, I'll aim for 25 customers but I am going to be a full time college student next year. I can handle it though without a problem, i don't know if i stand a chance at getting 25 customers out of 2 to 3,000 flyers though. I'll just have to distribute them and see. I think I'll pass them out first week of March.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You should consider other forms of advertising as well.

8. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

I found out years ago to get my flyers out ASAP, while the other LCO's are snoozin. I got some calls right away and had a lot of calls in the spring from folks that said that they had hung on to my flyer since the winter. The more the merrier.:canadaflag:

9. ScottsLandscaping

from MI

Haha, Ok maybe ill put them outt late February then. I'm offering 20% off the first month of mowing for seasonal contracts if they call before March 15. I think that should be a good incentive to call. Thanks for all the help, anymore will be appreciated as well as other forms of advertisement.

10. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Were are you abouts in MI?