Starting Lawncare Business - Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by krisuk80, Jan 22, 2008.

1. krisuk80

krisuk80 LawnSite Member
    from VA

I've done some small amounts of lawncare here, and a lot in the UK. (Which i know is a lot different) However...I recently decided that screw it i'm going to give it a go on my own, as it's something i really enjoy doing. My questions are more along the line of equipment and 1 mower in particular. But I'll list my items here, and if you could offer me advice i would very much appreciate it. (I already own the listed items below)

Truck - New Tundra 07 SR5 5.7 V8 Double cab
    Trailer - 7 x 16 2005 Holmes utility trailer, Tandem axle with racks for trimmers, blower, and line spool.
    Mower 1 - Toro TimeCutter Z5000 (This is a homeowner mower I know, but i bought it for my house last year before i even considered doing this) Question i have is..... Should i use it for business as i already own it, or should i try to sell it and buy a commercial grade. Probably only ran it for 30 hours.
    Trimmer - Echo SRM-230S - Again, mainly bought for my own property
    Blower - BR 380 D Backpack Blower.

(Equipment not owned but looking to possibly buy)

Mower 2 - Toro 21" Heavy duty 5.5 honda walk power mower.

I need to buy an edger, and various other non expensive tools But the question I really want answered is

Will the above equipment be enough to start a professional lawn care service. And get my though a couple of seasons? Ideally i do not want to spend much more money, at least until i start to see some money coming in from this venture!

Thanks in advance (Please no flames, just advice :) )

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

you should be ok for a while. How long will heavily depend on you. 13 years ago, I started cutting neighbors lawns, about 7. I used equipment my parents had. Very similar to your's now. I learned quickly that homeowner equipment need much more maintenance to hold up. double up on everything such as oil changes and air filter maintenance. Also, be gentle to the equipment. This is a given even for pro equipment. Save money and buy slowly. Buy according to the size of your accounts. Shiny is nice but expensive.

A final note. I don't know if you have done this already, but get legal!:usflag:This is important as well as professional. It also brings respect to the industry. Best of luck:)

3. krisuk80

krisuk80 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Meeting with lawyer tomorrow to set up s corp :)

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The equipment you have will get you started but as soon as you can afford it upgrade to commercial mowers. If you put your time cutter through a lot of mowing it will start falling apart within a year, there just not designed for much other than once a week mowing.

5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

The truck may be overkill but if you already own it no bigee. I would watch my debt load specially in the begining.

6. krisuk80

krisuk80 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks for the input!

Yes I already own the truck so may aswell utilise it...What people advice on a good walk behind mid priced comercial mower?