Starting my own business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kevin1, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 LawnSite Member

Starting this spring I am going to be starting my own lawn care business. At first I was going to just fertilize and weed control. I bought a 300 gal sprayer and the guy I bought it from offered to sub out an account about 30 miles away from me for lawn mowing. Its a $4,000-$5,000 ($52 per hr) account. Is it worth taking the account and getting a loan for an additional 6k-8k for a zero turn mower. Also would I have to get a 3/4 ton truck to haul my sprayer or can I get by with a 1/2 ton? I've seen a big difference in prices between a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

2. have you really been in the business 8 years? Just wondering with your questions, as far as the truck do the math of what the sprayer weighs and what it 300 gallons of water weighs full and keep in mind what a 100 gallons of water sloshing around does for stopping power.

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I would not go with any thing less than 3/4ton with that large of a sprayer. I would also ask 8 years in business and you dont have a mower? Or have you been working for someone else?

4. Kevin1

Kevin1 LawnSite Member

I have worked for other companys the last six years so I haven't been involved with starting a business before. I've done mowing,fertilizing, landscaping, snow removal, and some irrigation. Two years ago I decided that I wanted to concentrate on lawn maintenance, fertilizing, and weed control. Yes, I can do the math 300 x 8 lbs./gal = 2400 lbs. The dry weight of the sprayer is 700 lbs. 700 + 2400= 3,100lbs. I've had people tell me that a 1/2 ton will work, a 1/2 ton with overload springs is all I need, and some say a 3/4 ton is what I need. I've had the easy route by walking into established business that have the revenue to buy or upgrade equipment. I haven't been their for the start up of a business. I feal that I'm ready to take the risk of beeing a owner without getting into too much debt.

5. tgts2000

tgts2000 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good idea, just start with what you absolutely need and grow as you grow.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a 3/4 ton truck for a good all around truck. I have used half ton trucks in the past but when it comes down to landscaping, hauling rock, dirt or mulch 1/2 ton just isn't enouph. I only use 3/4 ton trucks for everyday use and looking at buying a 1 ton truck soon.

7. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

as far as the zero turn...go ahead and get it! i wish i was able to when i first started....i invested in a second wb, thought i was the poop...but i was still bopping around on the velkie....guys at my full time job gave me a hard time saying i was the only guy on a wb...now look...lol i got the real deal, to me at least....i wish i would have gotten a bigger one than 56"

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Is this sprayer an in-the-bed type? Or will you be hauling it on a trailer?

If it's in the bed, and you want to haul it with a half ton, you're going to need airbags or extra leafs installed in addition to the rear springs you have.

Even if you could level the truck that way, I STILL wouldn't do it.

There's the issue of stopping, and larger trucks have larger brakes and stop much better when loaded.

9. Kevin1

Kevin1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the information. I will be spending a little more money on a 3/4 ton, but it sounds like it will be worth it if I haul it in the bed of the truck! Has any one hauled a 300 gallon sprayer around on a trailer with a 1/2 ton truck before? Would you reccomend it for a guy starting out? I've had some trouble finding a good used 3/4 ton in the $10,000 range with a long box. If I did find a 3/4 ton truck with a regular box could I get by with it? My sprayer is a Hydro Turf sprayer with a Model 2P5 pump on a 8' skid. Has anyone used one before? I'm just hoping I didn't buy a lemon for 1500 bucks. Thanks, Kevin