Starting new season with a small change to owners' landscape

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, May 2, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Well, i finally started to cut grass last week. i had to double cut all of them (4 yards) since they were too cheap to call me the week before. they waited until the grass got untollerable tall.

anyway, everything was normal until i got to the last one. the owner is a widow teacher (old) and she has planted 7 small plants along the chain link fence. but get this...there are no flowerbeds around any of them. i have to trim all around them, including the side that is close to the chain link fence. my trimmer kept catching on the fence. they are so small and i am sure i clipped some of them with the trimmer by accident.

She trimmed the overgrown blackberry bushes that used to overhang and i used to never cut under them, just close to them. now i have to cut everything under and around them.

on top of that, her pine trees are overgrown and i can't cut close to them with the ZTR, so i have to reach in and trim 3-4 feet all around a 30-40 linear foot bed.

i charge her $30/cut currently. would you raise her prices?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

George,

It's your business.. so run it like one. You need to monitor your customers lawn and determine when it needs cutting... not sit around and wait for a phone call.

As to whether you should raise the price... Sure.. why not. I would discuss the changes with the homeowner first.

3. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Yeah. I got 1 lady who wants it cut when it reaches heaven. I tell her to get someone to cut it down to earth, then I can start mowing. Im sure she don't like paying for lawn service. So, I'm gonna tell her that I'm not going to tear my mowers up just to cut her grass every 20 days. Im not even going to give her chance to make up by paying more for the lengthy cuts.

4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

tom, i cut the yards every week, no problem there...they just wanted a late start since it's been really cold here lately.

but yeah, i agree. i will tell her $32 when she lets me trim the trees so that i can get to them. and $35 if she does not do anything to the plants (add flowerbeds) and nothing to the trees. In fact, i asked her to trim her trees last year and she is like, "My son will do it".....well, he is still getting to them.

cut, you made me laugh...."cut it down to earth"....heheh

i have a 4 acre lot that the people dont live there...i cut every 15 days. but the rest, i cut every week.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently there was a problem.. because according to your first post you should have cut these yards the week before. That's what I was referring to in my post. You need to let the customer know (before the season starts) that you will be there as soon as the lawn needs cutting. You make that determination...