Starting next spring

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chopsticks33, Oct 20, 2005.

1. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

i'm 13 and going to attempt to do more than my own yard next summer...but, i have no idea how to get started. All I have now is my dad's 48'' lawn tractor(its getting close to 20 years old), an echo string trimmer, and a stihl blower. What's the best way to advertise? What mower should I get to start, or should I offer to buy my dads? I would try to stick around my neighborhood. Any advice at all would be great...

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, since your 13, you will probably have to stick close to home. I would hit up the neighborhood with some flyers a few times to get customers. Any basic flyer advertising what your services are would be fine. You might mention that you are a "neighborhood kid" looking for summer work. Have your parents tell their friends to hire you as well. Good luck.

3. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

as long as you live in a neighborhood setting then i would just go around either with flyers or door to door and let people know this is what you do. to be honest i would rather use a 21" push instead of a tractor due to the cut quality unless there are big yards around you.

4. jakehmx06

jakehmx06 LawnSite Member

I started at the same age, do just as everyone has told you and stay close to home. do qaulity work and sooner or later people will stop looking at you as just a kid with a lawnmower, trust me ive been there. your reputation means everything. good luck

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi chopsticks33,

Create up a logo and then design some flyers. Hand them out in your neighborhood and you will be on your way :)

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>