Starting off in the business !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoctorGreenthumb, Nov 26, 2001.

1. DoctorGreenthumb

DoctorGreenthumb LawnSite Member

Me and a friend are hoping to start a residential grass cutting buisness by next summer and eventually get some commercial contracts if possible . I live in Cleveland, Ohio area i just wanted to ask someone out there some tips to start a buiness , What type of mower is good to get and brand and how much a used price of a decent mower would be ? I know there are many types of mowers and a variety of brands if anyone has suggestions out there please let me know . I know there are many ways to go in this field and just want to start out small now and eventually do abit of everything in the lawn buiness down the road .

thankyou DoctorGreenthumb

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

go craftsman,homelite,weedeater.
    not really friend,find the search area and search the major brand of commercial equipment. you may find many on the links pg.
    also type in commercial outdoor equipment in your search engine,and come back to lawnsite and do a search . u will find professional input on most equipment. later now:)

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

First thing you need to do is suck yer azz on down over heremph, lose the ghetto slanng, search the archives, and read and read and read and read. LOL!!! -j/k

You should determine the general size of the properties you wish to maintain. Then once you have a general overview of the demographics of the lawns you plan to solicit you can then make a sound judgement as to whether or not you will need a 36" w/b or a 60" Z.

If you are planing to market Renovations Services (aeration/lime/etc.) you should purchase a kelway soil tester so that you can test the soils to make sound judgements Doc as to what their properties will/wont need.

This post explains a bit further:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21756

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to do a crazy thing like that?:blush:

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 1st piece of advice would be "forget the partner!" Your not in control when you have a partner. Having a working relationship is one thing, splitting profits and staying friends is another.

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I can just hear you two guys now... "hey, I did all the work here with the mower" "yeah, but I did a great job on trimming" " But I got the account" "but I bought the truck" " But I do all the billing" "but I answer the cell phone" " but I ....................ect"
    Starting out with no experience with a partner is a recipe for a disaster!:cry:

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with Hoss and Mathew. If you are good freinds now, you better enjoy it. There is a difference between working with someone and sharing money with someone. The bad thing about sharing money with someone is that you also have to share the expence.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These guys are right about the partnership thing. Go into businesses seperataly! You can still be friends and even help each other out! Look at it in the long term. I have friends that we trade work and/or fill in for each other all the time. One friend, we've been teaming up together and helping each other out with fall cleanups. Also, if you want to succeed in this business,...DON'T refer to it as the "grass cuttin" business. This will have you made out to be a flop before you ever give yourself the chance to succeed. People hear that, and think you're some kind of "handyman" or something. If you want to bring something to, and get something out of the green industry, then bring in professionalism, and get exactly just that out of it. You can refer to yourself as a grounds maintenance professional. Not a "grasscutter". :)

9. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

im with the guys above LOSE the partner idea.... i did the same thing 15 years ago, and it ended up costing 215,000.00 to buy him out.... needless to say a very expensive mistake...

10. I guess my brothers and i are the exception we have been partners since 1996 After we all got out of gm.Iceing on the cake my sister in law is a cpa