1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Starting organic lawn care service, tips?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Ecoscapes, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey. Check out Fiesta and Ecosense to control the weeds.
  2. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

I'm trying Imprelis. Seems like the most effective and least toxic solution for clients that need weed control until the turf is thick and healthy enough to crowd them out on it's own.

Have had no luck with any of the organics, and the experts that I've contacted at NC State have had similar results in field trials.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Read the label first and you will run from imprelis quickly
    remember to notify every customer you are using it or it will be a violation of the label which is a federal offence

4. jonthepain

from Raleigh

yup, obviously I don't want to endanger my North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services License #29603 by neglecting something as simple as telling my clients what the hell I'm doing.

no offense.
  5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Bill, You know it's beyond my thinking to understand why the government is worried that we may eat to many Big Macs and yet it's OK to be spraying stuff like this.
  6. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

It would all depend on how much the chem. co's are donating to the campaigns of our elected officials.

Obviously, McD's isn't Ponying up enough cash.
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I am not saying that you are not an upstanding person in your community, obviously you are. If there was any offense taken on my comment it was not intentional

Endocrine disrupter's disrupt the endocrine system! they disrupt the hormonal system so that it cannot function, HELLO!

you are being sold a bag of crap by the people you speak with that are touting this as some kind of green product, it is not, it is poison times X, and very concentrated

"you can use much less" WHY? have you not asked the question, because it is really concentrated poison that is an ENDOCRINE DISRUPTER, look it up, it is not smart, do not bring your clothes home and near your family.

Have you read the label?
    You cannot use it within 15 feet of shrubs
    you cannot spray it on roots of trees
    you cannot spray it within 25 feet of water
    it is extremely toxic to fish

are you F'n crazy, where could you possibly find a lawn that meets those parameters
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. jonthepain

from Raleigh

ok fine, i won't use it. no need for insults.

what you suggest for weed control?
  9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

You say you can use less of it because it is more concentrated, but can you tell me how that relates the the OLD-50 rating it has?

Also, where did you get this information about it being a human endocrine disruptor?

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I agree with ICT Bill. Spoke with a local rep too (Imprelis is risky).

Regarding plant health -- NO PLANT prefers its natural growing height reduced. Grass, trees, shrubs, etc. I mow my Kentucky bluegrass at 4 inches just to minimize stress. It's healtheir and crowds out weeds.

Too bad many homeowners mow short, and/or bag the clippings, cuz they are creating problems. My 2 cents