Starting our questions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LOBOS48, Feb 11, 2002.

1. LOBOS48

LOBOS48 LawnSite Member
    from KANSAS

Starting out questions?

Let me start off by saying that this website has been very helpful in answering a lot of our questions and very helpful with a lot of input. My dad and I run a retail store for the last 12 years here in Wichita, Ks and since 9-11 our business (like most others) have slow down some. It doesn't take 2 of us to run the shop now, so one of us needs to get a part-time job. After looking through the paper and some phone calls for part-time work we decision that I'm wroth more that $5.50 to $7.00 an hour. So we made a decision to start a mowing service here in Wichita Ks. We have brought our equipment, just got our cell phones, will be getting our business cards and flyers out in the next 7 to 10 days and at the end of the month will be buying a new 2002 truck.
    We have several questions and would like any information that you would think would be helpful to us.

Question 1: Is there some form or paper agreement or contract on job description?
    Question 2: What is the best method for getting paid?
    Question 3: What is the best method of price estimating?
    Question 4: Is tax included in the price? ($25 or $25 plus your local state tax)
    Question 5: What kind of insurance and how much insurance is sufficient?

Thank you for your time, looking forward to your postings and emails.

You can reach us at or our company email address

YoungÂ’s Custom Mowing
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Question 1: Yes. It would be a good idea to have an agreement in writing pertaining to what you plan to do on the job. Write down in detail everything that will be required of you on each job. Also detail payment arrangements and due dates in your agreement. Have the customer sign that they have read and agreed to all terms.

Question 2: I think getting pre paid monthly is the best form of payment. You can invoice them for one month in advance, and then bill them each month. That way you are always ahead.

Question 3: Figure out a price per 1000sqft that is profitable for you. Then measure each property when estimating. Pay attention to how long it takes you to do each lawn. Make sure you are getting a good hourly rate after expenses. Also set a minimum that is right for you and do not go below it.

Question 4: Add sales tax on to the purchase price. It is just like retail. $25 + tax.

Question 5: Make sure to have at least 100,000 in liability insurance. Your best bet is to go with 1/2 million in liability. Liability insurance is not too much money. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck to you with the new venture.
  3. LOBOS48

LOBOS48 LawnSite Member
    from KANSAS

thank you for your input Lawn Dog2001:)
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You do not have to pay/charge tax for mowing in Kansas. You do if you are installing something. I pay tax on seed and fertilizer and just figure that in with the cost of the install. Good luck!