Starting out and having a full time job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by good_guye28, May 11, 2003.

1. good_guye28

good_guye28 LawnSite Member

Hi guys brand new to the site and it looks like its full of great info.
    I have a full time day job that i go to M-F 3pm till 11pm.
    Im looking to make some extra cash and was thinking of buying supplies for starting the lawn mowing business. Im thinkin I could work about 4 hours a day in the morning and then 8 on Saturdays. Do you think its worth the time and money to get involved in this?

I have a few friends that already have business's doing the same thing.One of them wants me to work for him but said he could only pay me between 8-10 dollars cash to help him out. Im just wondering what to do. It just seems like if you went through your whole neighborhood and put flyers on their mailboxes you could drum up customers. Say you have 300 people in the neighborhood and if only 10% wanted the services then youd make out like a bandit because you wouldnt have hardly any travel time.

I dont know the answers im just asking for some help on you guys that have been in the business for a while.

Thanks much any advice would be appreciated!!!!:confused:

2. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I haven't been in very long, but know one thing. I've put out a little over 300 fliers, in multiple neighborhoods, and I haven't gotten one damn callback yet...

So, get the accounts before the equipment, but make sure you can get the equipment before you get the accounts...credit, financing, etc.

Good luck...

3. good_guye28

mr.stripey did you put them on mail boxes?
    and you didnt receive one call, im amazed i thought that would work great.hmmmmmmmm have to think of something else

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

First,
    Do you want to be in this as a business, or just to earn extra cash? If you just want the green save your money on buying equipment and work with your friend. This will also help you see if you really want to be in this business.

Second,
    300 flyers might get you 3 accounts. Most marketing people will tell you about a 1% return for all flyers put out.

Also remember, how sure are you all these people in your area will want your services? Are you experienced? Do you have a business licence and insurance? Just things to consider when running a lawn business legit.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You really might want to consider your buddy's offer, this would allow you to learn the business and put some extra money away for equipment. The return on fliers is about 1% and not all of them will buy. What that means is that for every 300 fliers you put out you should end up with 3 calls for pricing and from that your sales ablility will determine the number of customers you end up with. Welcome to the site, and good luck.

6. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Yep, in the mailboxes, on the mail boxes, in the newspaper boxes. I did it in a thunderstorm, and no they didn't get wet and run...Is it possible that they looked too high priced and people are scared to call?

Ahh well, this is off topic for this thread...

7. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

hey strippey or whatever did you know its against the law to put flyers in mailboxes?youll get a call from the post master for that.better be licensed to do what you do if needed and be paying your taxes cause thell look at you now.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have any sense, you'll work with your friend for this season. This will achieve several things, i.e. you'll see how hard this business really is and therefore be better able to decide if you really want to get into it. You'll learn to communicate with customers. You'll appreciate why we have to have such expensive equipment. You'll see what type of competition you'll be up against. I could go on and on but you get the idea. Once you've learned all these things you'll be better to answer your own question and be able to decide if you want to invest in what I consider a minimum of $8,000 - $15,000 for equipment assuming you already own a suitable truck to haul it around with.
    Welcome to our world and to Lawnsite.

9. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

yeah I heard about that. I heard that they reserve the right to take my flyers out, but I tried to avoid it, and did very few that way. Most I hung on hooks or put in the paper box.

As for the others, they can look all they please cause I don't have to pay taxes when I don't have any income from the business YET!

10. good_guye28

well i thank you all for all the great info, it looks like i should try it out for the summer with my buddy. i was about to buy a $1000.00 walk behind and a blower from homedepot. so i guess you all saved me some money. i am really wanting to get into this but i am sure i should try it out for a season.

i have alot of buddies that are really doin great in the business....