Starting out gear....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IA_James, Apr 28, 2007.

1. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Just wondering if you guys would reccomend picking up anything else, I'm starting out (part time) and this is my equipment list so far:

Scag 36" 12.5 Kaw wb with sulky (used)
    Echo SRM210 (new)
    Echo ES230 (new)
    Craftsman wb edger (ancient)

On shopping list

Honda SP 21" (new)

Should I get a set of hedge clippers to start off, or wait till I have something to use them on? I used my blower/shredder around my place last summer and fall, and was happy with it. Is a backpack blower pretty much required? I've got my eye on a few trimmer racks, is there any one brand better than the rest? All equal?

Edit: Have insurance in the works, and am checking on any license I might need for this kind of stuff. Don't plan on getting into applying chemicals and such.

2. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

I would wait on the hedge clippers, about 2/3 of hedge trimming can be done by hand if need be. The backpack blower is nice but not priority unless you plan on doing a lot of leaf jobs. Just start with what you have and you will see more of what you need as your jobs begin to build up. You will get to a point that you need faster equipment and that is when you buy the things you speak of. Oh and pay cash for what you need, dont start out in the hole or you will be forever getting ahead.

3. IA_James

from Iowa

Yeah, I'm doing this without borrowing any money. Otherwise that would read "Scag Tiger Cub 48" up there.:laugh:

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would also wait on the hedge trimmers. I have been doing this for 5 years now and I finally just sold my hedge trimmer because I only used it once or twice a season for jobs that wouldn't have taken me too much longer to do by hand. I also hate hedge trimming so I only offer it as a service to existing clients anyway. I would justbuy a hand held blower for right now. It will serve you well until you can upgrade and get a backpack blower later on in the season. I think it is a good idea to carry both a backpack and a hand held blower. I find that sometimes one works better than the other for some properties. I think a 21" is something everyone should at least have waiting in their arsenal. As far as trimmer racks are concerned, just make sure you get racks that work well for your style and your needs. Make sure they won't harm your equipment. The racks I have I had to half way modify so they would work well for my operation and I also had to add some padding so they would fit better and not rub and move around. I think you will be happy with the Echo stuff. I have always been pleased with Echo products. I haven't ever used a dedicated edger. I find that I work faster when I only have to pull off a trimmer to do all of the work. But, if an edger works best for you then go for it!

5. IA_James

from Iowa

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave the hedge clippers at the store. The es230 is convertible from hand held leaf shredder of death to hand held leaf blower, so I'm set there. The dedicated edger is for those nasty overgrown sidewalks, I can touch it up with the weed eater.