Starting Out, getting all the crap jobs!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Apr 6, 2007.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

So far I have gained (3) Cutting accounts, but I've done several clean up jobs and two landscaping jobs. I want to cut grass, and get away from all of the clean-up jobs. The clean up work is a PITA. The money is good. I give you other guys lots of respect. Starting out is harder than I ever thought it would be.
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

just hang in there, once you get your name out things will change! GOOD luck!!
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Good Luck! so you're saying you dont want to do Fall clean-ups either?
  4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Who do you think your mowing customers will ask first for their cleanups? The more mowing customers, the more cleanups you get asked to do. You can always tell them no, but that just pushes them in the direction of another company who will mow AND do their cleanups. Nearly all of the cleanups I do are for my mowing customers. Landscaping comes from all over, but the cleanups come from mowing.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah and don't forget shrub trimming. Most customers rely on there lawn service for mowing, shrub trimming and cleanups. Landscaping comes from all over like what was said above.
  6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I would much rather do the clean-ups then just about any other job, besides mowing. The money is great. And why do i like mowing so much, well just read my sig.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It takes time. You can't expect to walk before you crawl. The longer you've been in the business, the more you'll be able to pick and choose exactly what type of jobs you want to do. In the meantime, more than likely, you will have to take most of the work that comes your way if you want to make some money. I agree with you though, cleanups do suck, and we only do scu's for our current customers.. no 1 time scu's here.
    Good luck this season.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the support. You have to crawl first I agree, but its rough. Plus my estimating skills are not up to par yet either. But I will admit to learning alot right now. Thanks for all the help.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont feel too bad, I am just starting out and taking some poop jobs too. But dont let that bother you, it is still money, right?? I know alot of LCO's around here that do not do 1 time spring cleanups or fall cleanups. I do them because it is easy in and out money, and I do quality work, so 95% of the 1 time clean ups I have turned into regular customers and have upsold a few on mulching, irrigation, etc. It all depends on quality of work and just how big of a difference you make on there property. So go get em and dont let the poop jobs slow you down, the big ones will come when your name gets out there
  10. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Maybe I'm stubborn but I also only do spring & fall clean ups for my mowing customers.